Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Prescott Reveals Secret Battle With Bulimia

from the times

JOHN PRESCOTT, who as deputy prime minister punched a protester in the face, has confessed to suffering from bulimia, the eating disorder usually associated with anxious young women.

In his memoirs to be serialised in this newspaper next month, he admits to gorging on vast amounts of food and then vomiting. Prescott writes in today’s Sunday Times: “I’ve never confessed it before. Out of shame, I suppose, or embarrassment or just because it’s such a strange thing for someone like me to confess to.

“People normally associate it with young women - anorexic girls, models trying to keep their weight down, or women in stressful situations, like Princess Diana.

“I could sup a whole tin of Carnation condensed milk, just for the taste, stupid things like that. Marks & Spencer trifles, I still love them, one of my favourites. I can eat them for ever. Whenever I go to Mr Chu’s in Hull, my favourite Chinese restaurant in the whole world . . . I could eat my way through the entire menu.”

Prescott says one of the causes of the disorder was stress, brought on by overwork as far back as the 1980s when he was in the Labour shadow cabinet.

“The only break I ever took was to eat. That’s all I did. Work, and then quickly eat something. It became my main pleasure, having access to my comfort food. So what I did was stuff my face with anything around, any old rubbish, burgers, chocolate, crisps, fish and chips, loads of it, till I felt sick - but at least I’d had the pleasure of stuffing my face and feeling really full. Then there would be a weird kind of pleasure in vomiting and feeling relieved.”

He writes of his shame at “this gorging, this greed”, and of trying to hide his bulimia from his wife, Pauline. “I thought, of course, I was being clever, and no one would ever know, but Pauline realised in the end. The signs in the toilet gave it away, and all the missing food.”

She persuaded him to seek medical help 17 years ago from the House of Commons doctor, who sent him to a consultant.

He recalls: “I turned up and found his waiting room full of young women. I was the only man there. I felt a right twerp. Luckily none of them shopped me to the press.

“Perhaps they thought I was on a fact-finding mission, never for one moment thinking that a man of my age and build could be suffering from bulimia nervosa, but that’s what the consultant said I had.”

Despite treatment, the condition continued and he was still bulimic when he became deputy prime minister in 1997: “I’m sure it was to do with stress. I wasn’t doing it all the time, and there would be gaps of weeks and months, but during those years when we first got into power, I let things get on top of me and took refuge in stuffing my face.”

Prescott, 69, resigned last June and is retiring as an MP at the next election. “I haven’t suffered from bulimia for more than a year now,” he says. “I try to exercise in the gym for 45 minutes every day. My weight, though, is still over 15 stone - as I do love my food - but I try not to snack between meals and to eat at sensible times.”

He hopes that by coming out about his bulimia he might “help the many young women - and others - who suffer from it. I hope that it will encourage people to come out and discuss these matters and not suffer in silence”.

After he developed diabetes in 1990, he made that public, getting involved in a government initiative to make people more aware of the illness; but he kept the bulimia secret.

Now he is offering his support to the National Health Service campaign on food disorders and to the public debate on bulimia and anorexia.
    looking at his photo i'd say it's been a fairly sucessful battle...
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

The first thing I thought when I saw the headlines this morning was that that joke (and many variants I'm sure) will be doing the rounds for the next week.

Comment

ROFLMAO! That's hilarious...John Prescott battling against bulimia
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Two pukes.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

“I’ve never confessed it before. Out of shame, I suppose, or embarrassment or just because it’s such a strange thing for someone like me to confess to.

“People normally associate it with young women - anorexic girls, models trying to keep their weight down, or women in stressful situations, like Princess Diana.

So basically, it affects a whole variety of crazy people.

By the way, why do so many newspaper articles in English omit the ending quotation marks? I've even encountered it in dialogue in English printed literature, quite often. Highly mystifying how they can't seem to include the ending marks.

Comment

Provost Harrison comments, "I don't know.
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Edit - seems that they are just being lazy.

The Grundian is most notorioas for poor speeling and puntcuation error.

Comment

I was thinking it might be The Grauniad for a minute, but it turns out it is The Times...
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I happened to ask someone about this, as I noticed it in some more articles. They mentioned that it was an old style, apparently coming back into fashion.

From wiki:

Quotations spanning several paragraphs
                    For a quotation consisting of several paragraphs, especially in older texts, the convention is to start each separate paragraph of the quoted text with an opening quotation mark, but to use a closing quotation mark only at the end of the last paragraph, as in the following example from Pride and Prejudice:

The letter was to this effect:
                    “MY DEAR LIZZY,
                    “I wish you joy. If you love Mr. Darcy half as well as I do my dear Wickham, you must be very happy. It is a great comfort to have you so rich, and when you have nothing else to do, I hope you will think of us. I am sure Wickham would like a place at court very much, and I do not think we shall have quite money enough to live upon without some help. Any place would do, of about three or four hundred a year; but however, do not speak to Mr. Darcy about it, if you had rather not.
                    “Yours, etc.”

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

By the way, why do so many newspaper articles in English omit the ending quotation marks? I've even encountered it in dialogue in English printed literature, quite often. Highly mystifying how they can't seem to include the ending marks.
                      This occurs when a quote continues across a paragraph break. I've seen it in some American publications too and it's a little distracting if I'm not paying close attention.

They're apparently supposed to omit the end-quote on the first bit, but they have to put a start-quote on the second bit to show that the quote is still going on.

Edit: Ninja'd.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Dauphin,

I don't see what is the purpose of it. It appears more sloppy than anything, and it seems to me it would likely be an annoyance to a number of readers, regardless of its background or any deeper reasoning behind its use (highly doubtful, that last bit, I think).

Plus what further mystifies me is I haven't encountered it at all in Danish texts. But I suppose this could be about to change quickly if we're looking at an ongoing trend in English.

Thanks for looking into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                          This occurs when a quote continues across a paragraph break. I've seen it in some American publications too and it's a little distracting if I'm not paying close attention.

They're apparently supposed to omit the end-quote on the first bit, but they have to put a start-quote on the second bit to show that the quote is still going on.
                          This works as an explanation, somewhat. It's still in poor style though. Any quote, "ongoing" or not, should have marks at the beginning and ending only, unless there's a further quote inserted into it. I would hope that any somewhat experienced writer would agree with this.

Comment

I've noticed that paragraphs (and to a lesser degree, sentences) are generally far shorter in English news articles than in Danish ditto. This might help explain why I've picked up on this "trend" in those, and not the others.

I'll have to investigate this matter more closely in my beautiful native tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                              This works as an explanation, somewhat. It's still in poor style though. Any quote, "ongoing" or not, should have marks at the beginning and ending only, unless there's a further quote inserted into it. I would hope that any somewhat experienced writer would agree with this.
                              My journalism experience taught me that the "split paragraph" quote rule above is in fact correct, but it's so confusing that it's heavily discouraged. Either make the quote into one paragraph, or close the paragraph and paraphrase the rest.

From a logical viewpoint I agree with you entirely. I think the practice came about because after paragraphs of quoted material the reader may need a mental reminder that the material is still being quoted.

But then again I can't think of a compelling situation where you'd have to quote entire paragraphs. If you're quoting that much, just put a single line at the top saying something like "This is the complete text of the quotation:" and then type the rest normally without quotes at all.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X