Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to deal with decline in the rust belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I just read the Detroit has the largest concentration of Belgians in the US. Time to move, Colon.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's my calling, apparently.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I'm glad we've actually got some good responses here. I posted this same thread on another website only to have it spammed to death by a couple of people who preached the end of the industrial age and how we should all go back to the utopia pre-industrial society.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Youngstown

Here in northeast Ohio
          Back in eighteen-o-three
          James and Dan Heaton
          Found the ore that was linin' Yellow Creek
          They built a blast furnace
          Here along the shore
          And they made the cannonballs
          That helped the Union win the war

Here in Youngstown
          Here in Youngstown
          My sweet Jenny I'm sinkin' down
          Here darlin' in Youngstown

Well my daddy worked the furnaces
          Kept 'em hotter than hell
          I come home from 'Nam worked my way to scarfer
          A job that'd suit the devil as well
          Taconite coke and limestone
          Fed my children and make my pay
          Them smokestacks reachin' like the arms of God
          Into a beautiful sky of soot and clay

Here in Youngstown
          Here in Youngstown
          Sweet Jenny I'm sinkin' down

Well my daddy come on the Ohio works
          When he come home from World War Two
          Now the yard's just scrap and rubble
          He said "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do."
          These mills they built the tanks and bombs
          That won this country's wars
          We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
          Now we're wondering what they were dyin' for

Here in Youngstown
          Here in Youngstown

From the Monongahela valley
          To the Mesabi iron range
          To the coal mines of Appalachia
          The story's always the same
          Seven hundred tons of metal a day
          Now sir you tell me the world's changed
          Once I made you rich enough
          Rich enough to forget my name

And Youngstown
          And Youngstown

When I die I don't want no part of heaven
          I would not do heaven's work well
          I pray the devil comes and takes me
          To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell...

- Bruce Springsteen
          Unbelievable!

Comment

My Hometown

I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
            Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
            Id sit on his lap in that big old buick and steer as we drove through town
            Hed tousle my hair and say son take a good look around
            This is your hometown, this is your hometown
            This is your hometown, this is your hometown

In `65 tension was running high at my high school
            There was a lot of fights between the black and white
            There was nothing you could do
            Two cars at a light on a saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
            Words were passed in a shotgun blast
            Troubled times had come to my hometown
            My hometown, my hometown, my hometown

Now main streets whitewashed windows and vacant stores
            Seems like there aint nobody wants to come down here no more
            Theyre closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
            Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they aint coming back to
            Your hometown, your hometown, your hometown, your hometown

Last night me and kate we laid in bed talking about getting out
            Packing up our bags maybe heading south
            Im thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
            Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good
            Look around
            This is your hometown

- Bruce Springsteen

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

About that Springsteen Youngstown song, it's great. But he doesn't have a clue when he starts railing against The Man.

My dad delivered tanks to the mills up there. He was appalled at how little the workers did. And I'm sure they were paid excellent union wages to do it. My dad was the head of his small local for a time, but nowadays you don't hear anything positive about unions out of him. I'm convinced that it was the steel mills that turned him against the unions.
              Last edited by DanS; April 15, 2008, 22:30.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Whar are you smiling about, that song's only about 1% less depressing than the other.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

Whar are you smiling about, that song's only about 1% less depressing than the other.
                  Lord get laid, two or three day earlier... he got the sickness of female people. He became totally irrationnal, crazy and out of controlll
                  bleh

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    About that Springsteen Youngstown song, it's great. But he doesn't have a clue when he starts railing against The Man.

My dad delivered tanks to the mills up there. He was appalled at how little the workers did. And I'm sure they were paid excellent union wages to do it. My dad was the head of his small local for a time, but nowadays you don't hear anything positive about unions out of him. I'm convinced that it was the steel mills that turned him against the unions.
                    Even so, I'd blame the lack of foresight on the part of union leadership moreso than the rank-and-file members themselves. At least the former were in a better position to understand the long-term ramifications of the concessions they sought.

That's not to say that the unions should have accepted wages equal to those acceptable to overseas workers, since this assumption would ignore the countless expenses associated with dismantling a U.S. factory, building a new factory overseas, building a new transportation/energy/water/etc. infrastructure for the new factory, training an entirely new workforce, translators, government liasons, shipping goods over greater distances, etc. etc. etc.

A forward-thinking union leadership would have made extensive efforts to accurately estimate what those costs would be, and thereby determine wage scales that would on the one hand be much higher than the market value of members' labor (because lets face it, whatever overseas workers would settle for is the "market value"), but on the other hand deny a company the huge financial incentive to move its production overseas.

If union leadership had had that sort of foresight in the late 60's, the Rust Belt would be still flourishing today, but instead they just chose to cover their eyes and go down with the ship. At this point it's too late to reverse their blunder even if they wanted to.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                      Even so, I'd blame the lack of foresight on the part of union leadership moreso than the rank-and-file members themselves. At least the former were in a better position to understand the long-term ramifications of the concessions they sought.
                      No offense intended, but that view seems naive to me. The rank-and-file were probably just fine with the situation until they showed up to work, but the gates were shut. It's human nature to take whatever you can get in the absence of any real push-back.

Well... anyway... I guess it's all gone no matter.
                      Last edited by DanS; April 16, 2008, 00:12.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Told you ALL so.

Chicago is next. I mean London.
                        be free

Comment

Next door, an empty Victorian sits moldering, the wood of its window frames scorched. Lines of old hedges mark lot boundaries where once-proud homes stood.
                          That's a shame. I like Victorian.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            No offense intended, but that view seems naive to me. The rank-and-file were probably just fine with the situation until they showed up to work, but the gates were shut. It's human nature to take whatever you can get in the absence of any real push-back.
                            I don't deny they were "just fine with the situation"; what I meant by "better position" was that the rank-and-file's level of education and degree of exposure to crucial facts was so limited that from their perspective it's not surprising they felt "entitled" to their jobs. They understandably relied on the assumption that their representatives would take care of everything, so they could instead focus their attention to family/recreation type whatnot.

Union leadership, on the other hand, had enough education, consulting experts, and direct contact with company management to actually see the writing on the wall, and still did nothing. Because they had a much better vantage point from which to foresee the problem and devise mitigation strategies, they bore far more responsibility than the rank-and-file cogs, if not 100% responsibility.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              1) Shoot them all
                              1)a) Let God sort them out
                              Always a good idea.
                              Worked already in the Albigensian Crusade around 1200AD
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

phantoms
                                lol the girls team was not good. cool rink though.

Comment

Working...
                                X