X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling all epic history game fans

G'day

Three questions

First question: does anyone know which game has the largest and longest tech tree over the longest period of history, and if so can they give me a copy of it?

Why I'm asking is because of this:

I'm a writer and am hoping to write a book where each chapter is a different historical period in history, going from the birth of the universe to the end of the universe
    I was hoping to plan the technological development of said novel world like a tech tree in order to create better plot points in the development of the main characters, being humans

Second question: Would anyone like to do any collaborative fiction writing with me based on this idea of a world:

picture our universe, a closed universe, going from a big bang to a big crunch, now imagine every possible moment in that history where history could've changed, and thus imagine this universe as a multiverse, every person who likes a certain historical period can write about what period they like, in whatever alternate history they like, but what i'm hoping for is to relate each story created by each individual to the position each story would be in the multiverse,

Third question: Would this idea of a multiverse work in a game, where say each game created by a player would have a link through its eventual completion to a game related to it in the multiverse, leading to a greater diversity of creative game-play, where say the laws of physics could have gone out in a different way to allow for magic, or alien races, or time travel thus allowing all possible universes and worlds to be created, limited only by the imagination?

please reply to these questions if you're interested in answering them

cheers

Matt
    "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

You totally just blew my mind.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I had an interesting idea once. Basically a normal TBS game of civ, but once you get time travel you can manipulate history and it changes accordingly. It basically becomes a real time game of manipulating TBS history.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

My husband is so into this type of thing. He and his best friend can sit around for hours discussing the possibilities for a counter factual history novel that they want to write someday.

I however don't know of any games that are that comprehensive.

Good luck
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Re: calling all epic history game fans

Originally posted by MattBowron

I'm a writer and am hoping to write a book where each chapter is a different historical period in history, going from the birth of the universe to the end of the universe
          Orson Scott Card says that a story is a character trying to solve a problem. You're going to have one heck of a time creating your main character.

Comment

Re: Re: calling all epic history game fans

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            Orson Scott Card says that a story is a character trying to solve a problem. You're going to have one heck of a time creating your main character.
            Maybe the character could be God observing history, or even God inserted into a human body for the amusement of observing historical events firsthand. Or Satan for that matter. Imagine the broad possibilities, just typing out the horned one's extensive dialogues with Nero, Khan, Napoleon, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.

Wait a minute, nevermind, I'm getting this idea copyrighted so stay away!!!
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Actually, I think you'd need both God and Satan (or at least two dieties) in an eternal struggle to control Creation. A protagonist and an antagonist, equally matched.

--At least you'll have dramatic conflict.

Comment

hence my problem with the opening scene,

i'm calling the book Namuh Htrae, which I know as anyone who knows backwards writing, spells Earth Human

I remember a quote saying that "knowing thyself" is the closest one can get to knowing their "creator" at least in a spiritual sense, it's more a Bahaii view, but i digress

The main story was sort of a coming of age tale of this entity, i was intending to combine both scientific and spiritual ways of thinking, including a character arc where the events that take place in human history mirror the psycho-social stages of a person's life from the time they're conceived to the time they enter the after-life, so to speak

the conflict would be the creation of the different opposing forces of nature, which in turn can lead to the eventual destruction of anything else, and this threat of conflict grows with the eventual evolution or transcending of realms, from the atomic realm to the chemical to the biological to the human realms of culture and technology, which become ever more complex and diversified and thus extending their impact to not only themselves but the entire universe
                "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

Working...
                X