Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the deal regarding the Chinese invasion of North Vietnam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lancer
    Rufus, iirc they showed the door to the Mongols too, the only nation to successfully defy them. Hmm. Yeah I think that's true.
    Yep, I forgot about that! Actually, they kicked Mongol ass twice, iirc. The decisive sea battle the second time -- Battle of Bach Dang, or something like that -- was a masterpiece of sheer cunning. They're one hell of a people.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

So, basically, don't **** with the Vietnamese. Works for me.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        the USA screwed the pooch by not letting the military run the war.
        Just as we aren't letting the military run the war in Iraq... right?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          b) The Vietnamese took down the Khmer Rouge in '78-'79. The Khmer were proxies of the Chinese, who had recently aligned themselves with the US against the USSR. The Vietnamese had gradually drifted into the USSR camp.
          Pretty distorted black and white picture you're drawing there.

Comment

How so? It's a bit simplified (the situation was actually pretty complicated) but I'd say it's an even-handed summation.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Which of those ideas do you deny:

a) That Cambodia under the Khmer was a client state of China
              b) The Vietnam was in the "USSR sphere"
              c) That Chinese foreign policy had become much more anti-USSR than anti-US
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Etchy doesn't know much about Eastern civilisation
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Shiva, you're out of your element, KH, those 3 options are not the issue here.

You said that "The Khmer were proxies of the Chinese, who had recently aligned themselves with the US against the USSR. The Vietnamese had gradually drifted into the USSR camp."

This might suffice to explain the general great power game at play at the moment in which China invaded Vietnam, but beyond that, and this discussion already included wider aspects, it's *much too simplified* in that you're ignoring the process of US - Chinese approachment.

It's close to saying China invaded Vietnam because they were some kind of ally of the US after the latter had to withdraw. Which would be stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                    So, basically, don't **** with the Vietnamese. Works for me.

-Arrian
                    Yup. Show up, enjoy some of the greatest food in the world, and politely leave. That's the ticket.

Sadly, I don't have time for a final trip to Vietnam before I leave the region -- but if my luck holds, I'll be back someday, posted to Hanoi.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

1) I said nothing of the sort. Read part (d) above. I was quite clear about why the Chinese invaded. They weren't happy that the Khmer (their boys) had gotten their asses kicked by the Vietnamese (the USSR's team)

2) The Chinese attempt to contain Vietnam's influence was both a consequence and a cause of the rapprochement with the US. The US and the Chinese both wanted to isolate the USSR. They were going to use each other to do that. Vietnam was pro-USSR and anti-American. Both were good reasons for China to not like them. The world (especially SE Asia) was aligning along a new axis: China+US vs USSR
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Etchy is out of his element
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

As for 1) - point taken, it was too simplified but might have fit into the concrete context.

2) The Chinese attempt to contain Vietnam's influence was both a consequence and a cause of the rapprochement with the US. The US and the Chinese both wanted to isolate the USSR. They were going to use each other to do that. Vietnam was pro-USSR and anti-American. Both were good reasons for China to not like them. The world (especially SE Asia) was aligning along a new axis: China+US vs USSR
                          And this is where it's not fitting. You're overestimating the nature and degree of reapproachment.

Comment

No, I'm not. There was a serious shift from the way the world looked in the mid-60s to how it looked in the mid-70s.

Whether this was the result or the cause of the China-US entente is a pretty meaningless question. The theory of Eastasia+Oceania versus Eurasia was accompanied by concrete shifts in regional relationships. That's what's important.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              Yup. Show up, enjoy some of the greatest food in the world, and politely leave. That's the ticket.
                              Mmmmm, pho.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No, I'm not. There was a serious shift from the way the world looked in the mid-60s to how it looked in the mid-70s.

Whether this was the result or the cause of the China-US entente is a pretty meaningless question. The theory of Eastasia+Oceania versus Eurasia was accompanied by concrete shifts in regional relationships. That's what's important.
                                Shift? We have always been at war with Eurasia.
                                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X