Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Ever Founded a Company or Thought of Founding One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Ever Founded a Company or Thought of Founding One?

I've been toying with the idea of founding my own company. I'd like to get a couple of bright guys together and do something technology related. A new software product? A commercial web site? I don't know yet.

It's not that I'm unhappy at work, quite contrary. It's simply that I'd like to build something from scratch in a startup. Hopefully something that earns me money but that's not my only motivation.

Two questions for you:

1. Have You Ever Founded a Company or Thought of Founding One?

2. Do you first need an idea, or can you start first and hope to get an idea later?

After b-school I'm probably going into some sort of mix between private equity, venture capital, and startup consulting, so I won't be founding companies, but I'll be buying out people with good ideas and using them to make myself rich and famous
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Nope, and yep.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        After b-school I'm probably going into some sort of mix between private equity, venture capital, and startup consulting, so I won't be founding companies, but I'll be buying out people with good ideas and using them to make myself rich and famous
        Great, when I have my idea I'm going to pitch it to you

Comment

Snoopy369 elaborate a bit. Subject area, motives...?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

Great, when I have my idea I'm going to pitch it to you
            But I'm going to do it in an exploitative, rapacious way in which I grow disproportionately rich off other peoples' ideas. If that works for you, then we should talk
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I founded Zombo.com. The services Zombo.com offer makes Google look like a child's website.

Comment

My wife and I each run our own corporations, both home-based. Hers is manufacturing/sales, mine is more consulting based.

You should definitely have a game plan going in.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Nope, I have never thought of founding a company, and Yes, you need an idea first.

Idea = "concrete plan of what good/service you intend to sell/produce/market with this company, and thoroughly thought out business plan that describes how you will fund it, what you will sell/produce/market, who you will sell/market it to / produce it for, why there is a market for your good/service, and what return you expect in the short/medium/long term."

Also some other stuff, but I've not thought this through so I don't have all of the answers
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Zombo.com
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

You can do anything at zombo.com... anything at all. The only limit is yourself.

Comment

Indeed it's true. Zombo.com changed my life for the better. Please accept my eternal gratitude.
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I thought about starting one, but I decided to take a nap instead.
                          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I founded North American Software....way back at a time when there were NO software companies selling to consumers. You bought your Radio TRS-80 and programmed it yourself.

Mine was a brilliant idea. Unfortunally, I soon learned that I needed over $100 to publish the name in the Fictious Names portion of the classified. I didn't have the $100.

End of company.

Comment

I've started a contracting co 3 times. Once in Jersey and twice here in Oregon. Also started a bookstore which was alot of fun and a good way to meet girls and go hungry.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X