"The Simpsons" is bad for kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Simpsons" is bad for kids

...so in Venezuela they run Baywatch instead!

Simpsons ditched by Venezuelan TV

The Simpsons has been dropped from morning TV in Venezuela after being deemed unsuitable for children - and has been replaced by Baywatch.

The popular US cartoon about the yellow dysfunctional family was branded "inappropriate" and pulled by the country's television authorities.

Caracas TV station Televen has started showing episodes of the beachside show in the same mid-morning slot.

It became famous for its bikini-clad stars, including Pamela Anderson.

Glamorous locations

The country's TV regulator said the saga of Homer Simpson, wife Marge and their three children flouted regulations that prohibit "messages that go against the whole education of boys, girls and adolescents".

It said that some unspecified complaints had been received from viewers.

Televen's manager may decide to show The Simpsons, which has been dubbed into Spanish, at another time of day.

The female cast of Baywatch in 1999
    Baywatch became famous for beaches and bathing suits

The station is showing episodes of Baywatch Hawaii, a later incarnation of the lifeguard rescue show which started in 1989.

The serial, about a group of beach lifeguards, gained notoriety for its attractive male and female cast members coupled with glamorous locations and slow-motion running sequences.

Venezuelan TV is known for filling its schedules with re-runs of old US series and Latin American soap operas.

But the most popular programme is the talk show hosted by the country's president, Hugo Chavez.

In an episode of the weekly programme last year, the Venezuelan leader gave a speech which reportedly lasted eight hours.

An abridged version of the show has been broadcast every day since February 2007.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Blah

Well i remember the Episode where the Simpson went to Brazil. I like their hosts, so it does seem to be accurate. Big breasts.

Comment

Matt Groenig would entirely agree ... it is not intended for children (well, pre-teen children anyway). The Simpsons' intended audience is young adults and older teenagers, and always has been.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Matt Groenig would entirely agree ... it is not intended for children (well, pre-teen children anyway). The Simpsons' intended audience is young adults and older teenagers, and always has been.
        Is that why it comes on at 4pm?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Because network execs are idiots. It is also annoying when they show children's ads with the Simpsons.

Comment

It's because Chavez is looking for freedooommm

*hides*
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Is that why it comes on at 4pm?
              At least in Chicago, reruns are shown at 5pm, 6pm, and 10:30pm. All are considered adult timeslots. New episodes show Sundays at 7pm, again an adult timeslot.

Groenig has repeatedly stated it is not a children's TV show - listen to the DVD commentaries, for example.

Comment

At least in Chicago, reruns are shown at 5pm, 6pm, and 10:30pm. All are considered adult timeslots. New episodes show Sundays at 7pm, again an adult timeslot.

Groenig has repeatedly stated it is not a children's TV show - listen to the DVD commentaries, for example.
                Whoever considers 5pm an adult time slot get's off before 5pm.

Comment

5pm is nonetheless an adult timeslot, kids shows are not shown at that time except on all-kids networks It's the start of the local evening news on many major networks, for example.

Comment

It's the start of the local evening news on many major networks, for example.
                    Well, that's just stupid. Classical Hero is right. They are idiots.

Comment

One of the few times we will agree on something.

Comment

I assume the same could be said for Baywatch
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Baywatch was intended for people with a mental age in the low teens, so perhaps it makes sense there.

Comment

Please call it Boob watch

Comment

Especially that David Hasslehoff.

Comment

Working...
                              X