Texas (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas (again)

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A $5-per-customer fee on strip club patrons dubbed the “pole tax” has been declared unconstitutional.

A state district judge ruled Friday that clubs can’t collect the fee. The charge went into effect in January and was expected to raise about $44 million for sexual assault prevention programs and health care for the uninsured.

Judge Scott Jenkins wrote that the fee, “while furthering laudable goals, violates the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and is therefore invalid.”

The Texas Entertainment Association Inc., which is a group of topless clubs, and Karpod Inc., the owner of an Amarillo club, sued Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and Comptroller Susan Combs over the fee.

Witnesses for the strip clubs testified at a hearing last year that the clubs would go out of business if they had to collect an additional $5-per-patron fee.

Lawyers for the state had said the Legislature was within its rights to impose the fee on businesses that serve alcohol and offer nude performances.

Attorneys for the state have argued that the fee does not prohibit nude dancing, does not regulate what entertainers wear and does not regulate the businesses in other ways. The state can appeal the decision.

A $5 "pole tax" is just plain wrong.

It might be worth $5 if we could persuade the "ladies" to go a little further than "topless" however.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I'm not sure how that would violate the first amendment... they have 'amusement fees' for sporting events and concerts, don't they?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Who cares about the legal reasoning. The results are what matters.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Fair enough...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Texas (again)

It might be worth $5 if we could persuade the "ladies" to go a little further than "topless" however.

Ahhhhh now little man there you would be wrong. I live here in Austin and I can assure you that in several of the clubs they go al fresco all the way from top to bottom. I was never so shocked when I walked into one and this totally naked girl when up to the cashier and asked for change. naked as a jay bird just standing there like it was nothing.

And before your minds go to the gutter......the owners of this club happened to own the music hall/bar where I worked slinging drinks at the time so periodically we would have to drop money and receipts over there since that where the bookeeper was located. I'm sure I turned 16 shades of red when I walked in and I can assure you I got out of there as fast as possible
          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Re: Re: Texas (again)

Originally posted by Tiamat

Ahhhhh now little man there you would be wrong. I live here in Austin and I can assure you that in several of the clubs they go al fresco all the way from top to bottom. I was never so shocked when I walked into one and this totally naked girl when up to the cashier and asked for change. naked as a jay bird just standing there like it was nothing.
            Ontario has always (in my lifetime) been completely nude. It was common to see americans from neighbouring states in attendance. Good to hear Texas isn't so prudish.

And before your minds go to the gutter......the owners of this club happened to own the music hall/bar where I worked slinging drinks at the time so periodically we would have to drop money and receipts over there since that where the bookeeper was located. I'm sure I turned 16 shades of red when I walked in and I can assure you I got out of there as fast as possible
            So that's you're story?!

*wezil reaches for his wallet...
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sadly it's the truth. I have to tell you in all candor I was totally
              Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

And I can say what I'm about to say because I have some basis of experience, Gregg Abbott our Attorney General is a pr*ck. Usually I won't speak ill of someone who is in a wheelchair but that doesn't give you the right to be a pri*k.

I used to work at a ....well what I would call a sheeee sheeee poo poooooo club downtown where all the Senators, Legislators, Mayor's, Gov's and even Robert Reed from the moralistic Christan Conservative Party has darken the doorways of the Headliners Club. Mr. Abbott is a member there. You have to pay a $5,000 "administrative, get in the club" fee when you become a member that is, only after you've been voted in by the reigning board.

All I will say is that every time I had an encounter or any of the other staff had an encounter with him, he was a *rick@!*&**

Comment

You should have stayed with the $5 clients.

Comment

Texas is ****ed up!
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You know that I was waiting for you to finally show up.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I bounced in Strip Clubs down here for several years, and at one time visited a few in other areas.

Most larger Clubs, with, and it is hard to defend this term, but with "Classier" Ladies, that is ones who are better looking, more flexible, tummies you can eat off rather than tummies who have eaten too much , ect. charge a "Membership Fee" as admittance.

Even if one becomes a "Member" they still pay dues each visit.

I have to agree with Snoopy369, sporting events charge and this is "entertainment" albeit one that degrades the women who are working for Scholarship Funding

Be it Texas or any other governing State, actions to tap (pardon the pun) into ways to generate funding are all fair game.

Gramps
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          You know that I was waiting for you to finally show up.
                          Sorry, busy schedule today.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                          X