No such thing as an unelectable name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No such thing as an unelectable name

[q=http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/25/india.names/index.html]Hitler, Frankenstein battle for votes in India

(CNN) -- Think Barack Hussein Obama has it rough campaigning for president with a name like that? The Illinois senator has nothing on Frankenstein Momin. Or Billy Kid Sangma. Or Adolf Lu Hitler Marak.

The three men are among dozens of others with equally colorful names who are competing for legislative seats in Meghalaya, a remote northeast Indian state, on March 3.

There are about 60 seats up for grabs, 331 candidates vying, and no shortage of unusual names.

There's Britainwar Dan, Admiral Sangma and Bombersingh Hynniewta -- all ready for battle.

There's Laborious Manik Syiem and Hilarius Pohchen. Boldness Nongrum and Clever Marak. Even a Tony Curtis Lyngdoh.

"It would be unfair to have a laugh at these names. They're reflective of the names here," David R. Syiemlieh, professor of history at the North Eastern Hill University in the capital city of Shillong, told CNN on Monday.

Meghalaya ("Abode of the Clouds") is a state of 2.6 million people. It's predominantly Christian -- but hasn't always been.

When the indigenous tribes first converted to Christianity, the locals named their children after the missionaries who preached to them. Subsequent generations started favoring words and names they were familiar with but didn't have a good understanding of.

"They may have heard of these names and personalities and it sounded nice to them," Syiemlieh (pronounced Same-LEH) said. "But it doesn't mean that they relate to Hitler or Frankenstein."

The trend lately, however, has been toward a return to more tribal names, he said.

Prashant Naik, the chief electoral officer of the state, told CNN that a candidate's name matters little to the electorate -- because so many voters and politicians themselves have peculiar ones.

"You have Australia, you have New Zealand, there's even a Thailand," Naik said. "I don't think that should matter in how people vote."

It certainly hasn't in Hitler Marak's case. He has been elected to public office before, with one of his stints as forestry minister.

"Maybe my parents liked the name and hence christened me Hitler," he once told the Hindustan Times newspaper.

" I am happy with my name, although I don't have any dictatorial tendencies."[/q]

My mom's family is from teh neighbouring state. Maybe that's why she named me "Lord"
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Billy Kid Sangma!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Does the name Hitler have the same connotation in India as it has in the West anyway?
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Probably an Aryan thing
        Blah

Comment

There's Britainwar Dan, Admiral Sangma and Bombersingh Hynniewta -- all ready for battle.

There's Laborious Manik Syiem and Hilarius Pohchen. Boldness Nongrum and Clever Marak. Even a Tony Curtis Lyngdoh.
          Blah

Comment

It rols nicely of one's tongue, does it not?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Colon�
              Does the name Hitler have the same connotation in India as it has in the West anyway?
              No, why would it?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Then why make it an example of unelectable name?

You posted the article so I'm holding you accountable for what's in it.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Oh :Oh:

Comment

"You have Australia, you have New Zealand, there's even a Thailand," Naik said. "I don't think that should matter in how people vote."
                    Love it!

Nu Zeeland is a great name! Not so sure about "Australia". An Australian would have to come along and confirm it's just home-country bias :P.

Comment

Eddie Hitler.

...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I wish I had a Greek name.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                          I wish I had a Greek name.
                          Riesstiuopiopolus?

Comment

Working...
                          X