Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome, I'm now officially bankrupt

... or broke.

My balance just reached total 0, fortunately my credit is good, though it is on negative, because I had to go and buy food so I can like survive and stuff. Good thing my rent includes internet connection. Can't afford electricity, already got a second notification to pay that bill. They won't cut it off, they'll just send the bill to collector company who will put their own price on top of the actual bill, horrendous interest rate and very short time to pay or I will lose my credit (and everything here is based upon credit, don't have it? Can't even have a phone then. Or anything else for that matter.

I had took a hit when I moved here, and I didn't get my raise on time. My raise was also such a ****ing insult, that it basically set me back and now I'm bankrupt. Hey, I still work, isn't that funny? I work OT a lot, but I don't get paid for OT. But I have to, since this is the type of job (research) that unless you don't do OT, oh well, you're not going anywhere.

So now I'm down to bare essentials. I've got nothing to sell really, except my television. It's a cool thing to work hard and actually go broke during, because the salary is so low. No matter, I still love my job. Too bad it doesn't pay right now. It'll start to pay in a year or so, but I already went broke. I told PM about it, since I've had trouble sleeping and other problems, that I'm pretty close to the edge and basically if it's free, I still might no afford it. That's how poor I am at the moment. Oh yeah and what did he say? "That's horrible. Maybe you should see a doctor about this?". Yeah, I need a doctor to pay my bills and food. That's exactly what I need? His other suggestions "this is a lot of stress and I understand it, you are more important to me than this research so if you want to take sick leave, please don't be afraid to take it." Yes, I need sick leave, because that'll settle my financial state. No *******, give me a raise that isn't a joke! No money situation can be fixed with money, not with sick leave.

It sucks because I've done this before, but at least then I was a student. At least then I didn't have to work hard. Now I do and look where it gets me. Nowhere. I'm afraid because I'm moving to the US in June and sure I'll survive there since I get extra money because it's a work assignment abroad. But you know how embarrasing it is, I have to resign my current place soon and then I'll be de facto homeless with no money. Sure, highly educated, sure. But homeless and without money.

So that will still cost me. Moving there will still cost me. I have to get my stuff and store it for my 6 month trip, and I can't afford it. If it costs 100 euros, I can't afford it. I had a haircut settled for Tuesday, but I can't afford it so I cancelled it. I can't afford eating at work, even though it's cheap. But I can't afford it. I still get student discount, but I can't afford it, so I'll go without lunch for a week at least. I have macaroni at home, so I just eat that when I get home and do things that are free, like... take pictures of my walls.

I need new clothes for the trip, can't afford it. I can't even get a ****ing haircut. I can't afford any new surprise, I can't pay my phone bill that is coming up, I can't pay my bills. It's not like I've spent any money. BUt had a mandatory thing that set me back and I had no savings so it took everything I had.

It kind of sucks to say to someone settling my trip that "does it cost?". These people all have money, so they're like noo noo, but if it costs 20 euros, listen, I can't afford it. They don't get it. No one gets it that when yous ay I have no money, it literally means NO MONEY. I don't want to sell my books either so... or my furniture. That would be too sad, I'll just not eat and not do anything. Luckily breathing is free

Oh yeah, I don't know how to survive in the US, because I'll be there 3 whole weeks before my first pay day. That'll be fun. I guess I'll not eat there as well. You know, I can't even get a sandwich at the airports and because oyu can't bring any liquids, I guess I'll be drinking at the luxurious bathroom area where the water flows free.

Sometimes it really doesn't pay to work. If I had to take a bus to work, I couldn't afford it.

Yay me.
    Last edited by Pekka; April 5, 2008, 13:28.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

How about taking out a loan?

Comment

Right, not that simple. I'm moving soon to another country, I need backers, my current salary is freaking low as the balls hanging on an old man. The funny thing is that I probably still have a higher income tax rate than most of you

No dice.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I doubt it that you can't get a couple of thousands of euros easily. You don't need guarantors for such small loans. Also, you have a credit card and you can use it to buy things and defer payments for a month or two.

I think that it's a matter of you not wanting to pay interest. I'm paying them when I'm short on money so I don't have simpathy for that.

Comment

Well you can take your simpathy out the door then.
          In da butt.

Comment

Hang in there Pekka. I've been where you are at now.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I have been bankrupt for 5 years

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

what's money precious

Comment

You get a student discount, are you a student then? A student loan perhaps, don't need backers there.
                  I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

2nd job maybe ???
                    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Re: Awesome, I'm now officially bankrupt

Well, yay that you're going to live in the US, even if you're not staying indefinitely (?)

Just like you, I'd love to do something there, but my grades aren't good enough to get the grants I'd need to study there, and I don't think there's much work I can do that literally a million Americans couldn't. If you're in the right place when I come to visit, I'll buy you a beer - no matter your financial situation at the time.

Moral support doesn't pay the bills, I know, but it's the best I can do. Hang in there, dude.

Comment

Poor Pekka. If only they gave you a dollar for every word you wrote.

Comment

Well, perhaps you are living outside your means.

I would say one should never:

A) count on overtime to make it

B) count on a raise that may not come, after all many factors completely outside of your control dictate if and how much the raise may/may not be.

Now, I have allways been taught and try to follow this rule:

1] Never pay rent/house payment/lodging accomodations greater than the sum of a single weeks takehome or netpay

2] The other three weeks should cover all other incured expenses.

3] 10% set aside, if possible for a rainy day fund in case of emergency needs such as medical necessities, travel to a family emergency, ect.

4] This of course all comes after should you choose to Tithe, which is between you and God.

Ok, just sharing since ya posted Pekka

Good fortunes and better results.

I would not say Good Luck since you certainly appear to be one who would not trust his future to luck but rather informed and prudent planning.

Grandpa Troll
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            The funny thing is that I probably still have a higher income tax rate than most of you
                            Maybe so, but I have savings.

I know what you are going through, sometime sacrifices have to be made, if you are going to the states for 6 months, sell the furniture that you can't afford to store anyway.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

This too shall pass, Pekka.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X