Elephant paints elephant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elephant paints elephant.

I bet you can't even draw an elephant, or even connect two lines without missing.

YouTubers, straight away, accusing the locals for mistreating the elephants in order to train them to paint.

btw, while its not really a work of art, I would definitely buy it, especially if the some of the money went back to him/her.
    be free

what does that teach us about AWARENESS in animals? Nothing.

Comment

I don't say this about too many things, but that was incredible to watch.

I'm getting an elephant, I have too many bare walls in my home.

What? I have an unfinished bag of peanuts in the cupboard, it's not like he won't be eating properly.

Comment

That may be one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I wonder if the elephant has been trained to draw a series of lines that look like an elephant to humans or if the elephant actually conceptualizes what it wants to draw then accomplishes it.

If it conecptualizes it, I wonder why it choose to hold a huge flower in its trunk. I say this because I don't think a flower has a practical purpose for an elephant but is more decorative. This is another behavior or goal you would associate more with humans then elephants.

Either way it an awesome video.

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

aww that's so cute and cool.

Comment

Impressive training I'd say. I hope it was trained with generous rewards and little to no punishment.

The picture itself and the order in which it was drawn seem to strongly suggest to me that it's copying a human made original from memory.

I suspect elephants might be capable of artistic expression through paint I just wouldn't expect them to ape human art technique especially this sort of crude realism.

[edit]I needn't have worried. It doesn't look so unpleasant.
                Last edited by Geronimo; April 4, 2008, 10:03.

Comment

This is definitely incredible.
                  Even if we assume that he just was trained to paint single lines (and neither really has a concept of an elephant holding a flower nor repaints a picture he has seen).

It sounds impressive to me to train the elephant for enough patience to complerte the picture, as well as to put the lines exactly into the right position in relation to the other lines. Don´t think there has never been an ape who was trained for such a task (the only painting chimpanzee I know of AFAIK just paints pictures that resemble abstract art, never heard of an chimpanzee [or even Bonobo] painting naturalistic art [I think they would be lacking the patience to do so]).

It demonstrates clearly that elephants are really among the most intelligent land animals
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                  X