X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mugabe getting uppity again

Mr Mugabe was said to be ready to fight 'to the last'
    Mugabe on state TV

Police in Zimbabwe have raided a Harare office of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), sources inside the country have told the BBC.

There are also reports that senior MDC members have gone into hiding.

In a separate incident police arrested two foreign journalists - one of them a reporter for the New York Times - in a raid on a hotel in the capital city.

Tensions are high with election results delayed and the MDC claiming it has defeated President Robert Mugabe.

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7329682.stm

This isn't going well.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

bleh

Comment

It's going as expected. Dictators rarely give up power willingly.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's always not true. Hitler gave up power to Karl Dönitz.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
          That's always not true. Hitler gave up power to Karl Dönitz.
          If only Mugabe would choose Ol' Adolfs way
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

If only Mugabe would choose Ol' Adolfs way
            I think he would like to, but Zimbabwe doesn't have a navy
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Re: Mugabe getting uppity again

Originally posted by Colon™

This isn't going well.
              And this is surprising?
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I wish Tsvangirai wouldn't be using such inflammatory rhetorics either. Declaring victory before counting had even begun doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

I think he would like to, but Zimbabwe doesn't have a navy
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Has Cecil Rhodes left any children or anyone else who could reconquer Zimbabwe and turn it back into a decent country?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                      Has Cecil Rhodes left any children or anyone else who could reconquer Zimbabwe and turn it back into a decent country?
                      Yeah, too bad Ian Smith isn't alive any more...
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Zimbabwean Navy
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The Independent is reporting that Mugabe has deputized supporters and ordered them to take over what he calls "command centers" across the country. It's pretty clear he's he's attempting to ignore elections and make himself President for life. Meaning while Mugabe's failed policies have resulted in the world's highest inflation rate.

Exclusive: Mugabe prepares for war

Zimbabwe's leader defies the world to send in new wave of thugs

By a Special Correspondent in Bulawayo
                          Sunday, 13 April 2008

Robert Mugabe is preparing to defy international pressure and launch a systematic crackdown in Zimbabwe aimed at reversing his defeat in the presidential election two weeks ago, according to dissident policemen who have been briefed on his plans.

Through an intermediary, the policemen told The Independent on Sunday that they have been ordered to be ready to deploy today or tomorrow. With their ranks swollen by so-called "war veterans" given police uniforms, they would take over constituency "command centres" used in the 29 March elections.

Two weeks ago the ruling Zanu-PF party not only lost its majority in the House of Assembly, but, in the presidential contest, Mr Mugabe is believed to have finished well behind Morgan Tsvangirai, leader of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC).

The growing crisis over the government's failure to release the election results, coupled with rising violence in rural areas where the MDC did well, has reinforced fears of a crackdown. Mr Mugabe has also defied international pressure to declare the result, spurning a regional summit on Zimbabwe's problems called yesterday by the President of neighbouring Zambia.

On Friday, police banned all political rallies, a move initially thought to be aimed at an MDC protest meeting in the capital Harare today. A police spokesman said the force did not have enough officers to handle rallies because many were still guarding ballot boxes or preventing post-election violence. But it appears the order may also have been issued to give the police time to move into position around the country. Once they are deployed, opposition parties believe, the government could announce the presidential result and the date of the second round, claiming no candidate won an overall majority. This would also forestall the MDC's High Court action demanding the immediate release of the results, on which a judge has promised to rule tomorrow.

The dissident policemen said that "war veterans" – in reality Zanu-PF enforcers – would be given police uniforms, and, for the first time, police numbers, making it impossible to distinguish them from regular officers.

In rural constituencies, the policemen said they had been told their role would be to campaign openly for Mr Mugabe. Some areas would be closed altogether to outsiders. "This is a national plan," they told the intermediary. They added that the "war veterans" had been recruited to act as watchdogs over any policemen reluctant to carry out orders.

President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa met Mr Mugabe in Harare yesterday before going on to Zambia, but said there was "no crisis" in Zimbabwe and called for patience. Yesterday, Gordon Brown called for the election results to be published "immediately".
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                          X