Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicago-Give me things to do this weekend please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago-Give me things to do this weekend please!

Apolyton Chicagoans:

Flying to Chicago tomorrow morning for the weekend due to wife's conference. Staying at the Palmer House downtown, not renting a car.

Give me things to do, places to eat.

We make it to chicago every year or two, so have tooled around a bit downtown, but aren't overly familiar.

Have been to: Field, Art Institute, UChicago, White Sox game, and a few other things I can't recall. What other fun stuff can we do to burn some hours?

Can't get tix to a cubs game at this point (or won't due to scalping expense), waited too long as I wasn't sure I was going to along until recently.

Food: Been to goose island, and a few other places, but open to pretty much anything as long as accessible via taxi (reasonable distance) or cta (which we've never used, as we've always had a car).

Thanks.

Sears tower vs Hancock observatory-which is more enjoyable?

Comment

Tough choice...

or

?

Comment

Sears Tower
        Attached Files
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Both are interesting. Hancock gives a broader view as it's well north of downtown, Sears Tower you're right in the middle.

If you haven't been to china town yet, go there; it's on the red line (state street subway, right outside the palmer house) south about 5 stops depending on where you get on it, "Cermak-Chinatown". If you can go during the lunch hours (11am-3pm, roughly) you can get some great Dim Sum at either the Three Happiness (you'll see it right outside the red line basically), or the Phoenix (slightly nicer restaurant, slightly more expensive) which is down the street a ways across from the mall (a giant strip mall). Walk around, lots of shops and interesting restaurants (I can spend long enough there to get dim sum and dinner sometimes...)

Museum of Science and Industry is in Hyde Park, near where I live, catch a #6 Jackson Park bus to get there, also on State Street. Very cool museum. Shedd Aquarium (same area as Field museum) is nice also.

Other food places: Greek town, which is basically a mile west of you at the Palmer House and a bit north, has some great restaurants, lots of fun, especially with flaming cheese Shaw's Crab House is fun for seafood (but pretty pricey, you'd look at $100 to $200 for 2 people depending on what you get and your alcohol choices), Joe's Stone Crab is also quite good but even more pricey. Both are just north of the river around Grand and Wabash (Shaw's is one street south of that).
          Big Bowl, Ohio and Wabash, is a pan-asian restaurant with some great food, heavy thai influence. Salmon Pad Thai is quite good
          Ada's on Wabash just north of the palmer house (I think between madison and monroe, I forget which) is a NYC style deli/restaurant with a great bagel/lox platter.
          Go to either Giordanos (just south of the river) or Ginos East (north, on I think Superior?) for pizza.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Great ideas

china town and greek town sound fun, will have to try out one in each.

we're also thinking lincoln park zoo.

Comment

Go visit Ming. He lives at:
              1060 W. Addison Street
              Chicago, IL 60613
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Only selected afternoons and evenings

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  1060 W. Addison Street
                  Chicago, IL 60613

While I don't live there, I was there on Monday afternoon
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Gagne

Comment

Can't get tix to a cubs game at this point (or won't due to scalping expense), waited too long as I wasn't sure I was going to along until recently.
                      Actually if go out to the ball park early in the morning you can usually get good seats at regular price. These are the seats the wives turn back in or the seats reserved for scouts and team personel. I've done that for Dodger games the last few years and never had any problem. Usually just a few hours prior to game start. For a weekend game I'd suggest a little earlier.

Then you can wait for the game to start in one of many nice bars surrounding the park.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't like the fact that the teams are able to wrangle huge government subsidies for new ball parks but I have to admit the new stadiums do work wonders for revitalizing areas. They pull in a lot of people during game days and a great many of those people want to have dinner and a few drinks before the game along with a few drinks after the game so lots of restaurants and bars open up to cater to the crowds. Not to mention hotels for out of town visitors.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          1060 W. Addison Street
                          Chicago, IL 60613
                          Is that the poor house or something?
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Is that the poor house or something?

1060 W. Addison Street
                            Chicago, IL 60613
                            Attached Files
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you're a Cubs fan, yes.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X