No announcement yet.

A New/Old Challenger Approaches: Mike Gravel Switches Parties, wants GW's Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New/Old Challenger Approaches: Mike Gravel Switches Parties, wants GW's Job

Switches to....Libertarian Party

Best name for a candidate since Kinky Friedman.

So how does this impact the race? Will Ron Paul challenge him for the libertarian nomination?

Long-shot presidential candidate Mike Gravel told supporters Wednesday he is leaving the Democratic Party to join the Libertarian Party.

Gravel, a former Democratic senator from Alaska, said in an e-mail that the Democratic Party "no longer represents my vision for our great country."

"It is a party that continues to sustain war, the military-industrial complex and imperialism - all of which I find anathema to my views," he said in the e-mail in which he also asked supporters for campaign donations.

Gravel, 77, has been excluded from recent Democratic debates because he failed to meet fundraising or polling thresholds.

"I look forward to advancing my presidential candidacy within the Libertarian Party, which is considerably closer to my values, my foreign policy views and my domestic views," he said.

Gravel left the Senate in 1981 after losing the 1980 Democratic primary. An outspoken critic of the Vietnam War, he was among the first Democrats to speak out against the war in Iraq while others supported the president.

He announced his bid for the presidency on April 17, 2006.

I wish we had a libertarian party that was larger than 4 guys sitting around the kitchen table.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      I wish we had a libertarian party that was larger than 4 guys sitting around the kitchen table.
      Why don't you put LSD in a a bunch of Republican's food then?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

We don't have republicans either. We have wanna-be conservatives.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

What is NYE?

Comment

I better not say. He gets mad at me when I presume things.

Conservatives in this country are often just Liberals in disguise. They often call themselves "Pink Tories" which is really just a Liberal suffering an identity crisis.
            Last edited by Wezil; March 31, 2008, 10:38.

Comment

lolbertarians

Comment

I better not say. He gets mad at me when I presume things.

Conservatives in this country are often just Liberals in disguise. They often call themselves "Pink Tories" which is really just a Liberal suffering an identity crisis.
                I think you just called him a pinko.

Comment

Does that mean they try to bugger people in public restrooms?
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No, they prefer to bugger people through policy.

Comment

Mike Gravel Switches Parties, wants GW's Job

I'd support him for mayor of Bedrock..

Comment

Working...
                      X