Robin Hood bank robber jettisons loot in high-speed chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin Hood bank robber jettisons loot in high-speed chase

About the first time there's been some mildly amusing news out of my dismal town (except for that whole bridge thing). My boss actually drove by this on the way to work and sure as hell would have done a U-turn if he knew about the giveaway.

Why the hell would you throw out the money like that? If you don't escape the cops and civys will testify that you threw out the money so it'll still be valid evidence after it's retrieved. If you do manage to escape somehow, you'd have nothing to show for it. So what's the point?

Police stop suspect after high speed chase this morning
    Friday, March 28, 2008
    Star Tribune - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX

An early-morning bank robbery today escalated into a high-speed chase through the northwest suburbs that ended when the suspect crashed his car and exchanged gunfire with police.

Speeds reached nearly 100 miles per hour as the suspect and law enforcement from several agencies dodged vehicles on crowded rush hour freeways during the chase, which began in St. Anthony and ended in Plymouth.

According to St. Anthony Police, the suspect robbed the TCF Bank at gunpoint, and was located by officers leaving the bank at 3899 NE. Silver Lake Road around 6:45 a.m.

The suspect drove north on Silver Lake Road, then west on Interstate Hwy. 694. Officers from numerous agencies joined the chase as it moved through Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park and down I-494 in Maple Grove and Plymouth. Minnesota Department of Transportation cameras showed the suspect weaving around traffic with police in close pursuit. At one point, cameras showed the suspect tossing two black money bags from a silver Toyota sedan as it sped down I-494.

The chase frightened some motorists who quickly exited the highway and took alternate routes to work. Trisha Fisher was in Maple Grove, just about to head southbound on I-494 where it joins I-694 when she saw six squad cars speeding around the bend.

"I know they were doing at least 100 mph, sirens blaring, flashers, etc., and figured it was a high speed chase -- not an accident down the road," she said. "I made a decision at the split to take I-694 [east] to 81, which was a good choice. I don't need to be accidentally shot because of some idiot robbing a bank at 7 a.m."

The suspect finally exited I-494 on Hwy. 55 and crashed as he attempted to reenter the freeway going in the wrong direction in Plymouth.

A Hennepin County Sheriff's Office dispatcher said that shots were fired when the suspect was stopped around 7:20 a.m. Police said the suspect was armed at the time. Shots rang out as officers closed in.

Capt. Dan Plekkenpol of the Plymouth police department said the suspect was shot.

Chief John Olh of the St. Anthony police department said the suspect was taken to North Memorial Medical in Robbinsdale with non-life threatening injuries.

Amy Harris was just getting out of her car at the West Health building when she saw the suspect's car go into the ditch and head toward the exit ramp and oncoming traffic when "20 police cars stopped it. I heard six gun shots and I got back in my car praying that no bullets were going to be flying across the road."

Police from Plymouth, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, St. Anthony, Hennepin County Sheriff's deputies and the FBI were on the scene for several hours investigating.

Ohl said it was not clear why the suspect was driving a car with Louisiana license plates. He could not confirm if the car was a rental "or maybe belong to friends. We are just not sure."

TCF Bank Spokesman Jason Korstange said the branch was not open at the time of the incident.

FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe said the robber confronted three employees as they were reporting for work. The culprit pointed a black semi-automatic handgun at the employees, led them to a back room and told them to open the vault.

The robber ordered the employees to the floor, placed cash in a white cloth bag and fled.

No one at the bank was hurt, Korstange said.

McCabe said the suspect is a black man, approximately 30 years old, around 5 feet 10 inches and approximately 180 pounds. He is a suspect in other metro area bank robberies, McCabe said.

This is not the first time the St. Anthony TCF Bank has been held up at gunpoint. In early November, a lone robber entered the bank and pointed a semi-automatic handgun at employees and ordered them to the floor. During that robbery, the suspect kept his gun pointed at bank employees and threatened to kill them.

The same bank also was robbed on Jan. 11.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...0News/1271484/
    Last edited by Darius871; March 30, 2008, 12:23.
    Unbelievable!

Another moron thief in Chicago last week...

Wednesday, March 26th, 2008
    Chicago’s Dumbest Robber
    Police in Chicago, Illinois, say that no one could fabricate a story like this.

An 18-year-old man entered a muffler shop in the 2600 block of North Laramie Avenue on March 24 and declared a robbery. Police allege that he waved a gun around and demanded money.

When he was told that the money was in a safe and that the manager who knew how to open it was not there, the unidentified suspect had a smart idea; at least to him it was.

He gave the employees of the shop his cell phone number and asked them to call him when the manager came so that he could open the safe for him.

The man left and the employees instead called 911. Authorities stationed plainclothes officers in the shop to pose as mechanics and called back the would-be robber.

The suspect showed up again, and waved his gun around again, but this time an officer shot him in the leg.

The man had surgery at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center and is said to have suffered injuries that are not life-threatening.

One officer with 20 years on the force, said that this is one of the more “unusual” cases that he’s seen.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Robin Hood bank robber jettisons loot in high-speed chase

Originally posted by Darius871
        About the first time there's been some mildly amusing news out of my dismal town (except for that whole bridge thing). My boss actually drove by this on the way to work and sure as hell would have done a U-turn if he knew about the giveaway.

Why the hell would you throw out the money like that? If you don't escape the cops and civys will testify that you threw out the money so it'll still be valid evidence after it's retrieved. If you do manage to escape somehow, you'd have nothing to show for it. So what's the point?

Police stop suspect after high speed chase this morning
        Friday, March 28, 2008
        Star Tribune - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX

An early-morning bank robbery today escalated into a high-speed chase through the northwest suburbs that ended when the suspect crashed his car and exchanged gunfire with police.

Speeds reached nearly 100 miles per hour as the suspect and law enforcement from several agencies dodged vehicles on crowded rush hour freeways during the chase, which began in St. Anthony and ended in Plymouth.

According to St. Anthony Police, the suspect robbed the TCF Bank at gunpoint, and was located by officers leaving the bank at 3899 NE. Silver Lake Road around 6:45 a.m.

The suspect drove north on Silver Lake Road, then west on Interstate Hwy. 694. Officers from numerous agencies joined the chase as it moved through Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park and down I-494 in Maple Grove and Plymouth. Minnesota Department of Transportation cameras showed the suspect weaving around traffic with police in close pursuit. At one point, cameras showed the suspect tossing two black money bags from a silver Toyota sedan as it sped down I-494.

The chase frightened some motorists who quickly exited the highway and took alternate routes to work. Trisha Fisher was in Maple Grove, just about to head southbound on I-494 where it joins I-694 when she saw six squad cars speeding around the bend.

"I know they were doing at least 100 mph, sirens blaring, flashers, etc., and figured it was a high speed chase -- not an accident down the road," she said. "I made a decision at the split to take I-694 [east] to 81, which was a good choice. I don't need to be accidentally shot because of some idiot robbing a bank at 7 a.m."

The suspect finally exited I-494 on Hwy. 55 and crashed as he attempted to reenter the freeway going in the wrong direction in Plymouth.

A Hennepin County Sheriff's Office dispatcher said that shots were fired when the suspect was stopped around 7:20 a.m. Police said the suspect was armed at the time. Shots rang out as officers closed in.

Capt. Dan Plekkenpol of the Plymouth police department said the suspect was shot.

Chief John Olh of the St. Anthony police department said the suspect was taken to North Memorial Medical in Robbinsdale with non-life threatening injuries.

Amy Harris was just getting out of her car at the West Health building when she saw the suspect's car go into the ditch and head toward the exit ramp and oncoming traffic when "20 police cars stopped it. I heard six gun shots and I got back in my car praying that no bullets were going to be flying across the road."

Police from Plymouth, Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, St. Anthony, Hennepin County Sheriff's deputies and the FBI were on the scene for several hours investigating.

Ohl said it was not clear why the suspect was driving a car with Louisiana license plates. He could not confirm if the car was a rental "or maybe belong to friends. We are just not sure."

TCF Bank Spokesman Jason Korstange said the branch was not open at the time of the incident.

FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe said the robber confronted three employees as they were reporting for work. The culprit pointed a black semi-automatic handgun at the employees, led them to a back room and told them to open the vault.

The robber ordered the employees to the floor, placed cash in a white cloth bag and fled.

No one at the bank was hurt, Korstange said.

McCabe said the suspect is a black man, approximately 30 years old, around 5 feet 10 inches and approximately 180 pounds. He is a suspect in other metro area bank robberies, McCabe said.

This is not the first time the St. Anthony TCF Bank has been held up at gunpoint. In early November, a lone robber entered the bank and pointed a semi-automatic handgun at employees and ordered them to the floor. During that robbery, the suspect kept his gun pointed at bank employees and threatened to kill them.

The same bank also was robbed on Jan. 11.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/...0News/1271484/
        Maybe he has seen to many action movies where the "heroes" throw out the money (or whatever they had stolen) during a high speed chase (unseen by their pursuers) and come back later when they have escaped, to retrieve it.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

A new idiot.

MELVILLE, N.Y. - Police say it was no surprise a bogus $50 bill got a Long Island man arrested: He was trying to use it to pay his bail on a traffic charge.

The transaction compounded Cyheam Forney's legal problems and landed him in jail.

Police say they spotted the 31-year-old Forney making an illegal left turn in Melville, N.Y., on Thursday and discovered his licence had been suspended.

Forney was arrested on a misdemeanour suspended license charge - until officers said he proffered the counterfeit currency as bail money.

He now is being held on a felony charge of possessing a forged instrument.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

@ Wezil's vid.

That poor guy. Crime should really pay better for all he went through.

Comment

CLEVELAND (AP) — A carjacking suspect stopped during the crime to ask a television news crew for directions, police said.

The 19-year-old was arraigned Thursday on a charge of aggravated robbery and ordered held on $50,000 bond.

WOIO-TV newswoman Shannon O’Brien and photographer Eric Walls were doing a sidewalk report Monday on bank problems when the passenger in a car asked for directions to a bank. The driver signaled that he was being held at gunpoint, O’Brien told police.

The news crew called police and followed the car until officers caught up. Police Lt. Thomas Stacho said the suspect was carrying a loaded handgun.

That's a man without a plan.

Comment

Working...
              X