The Danes really have it going for them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monk

Or to put it differently, if somebody with an intense hate of Buddhism went out and hurt you for what you say here (and don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not advocating that - quite the opposite) would you actually say you were part of the problem?
    YES! If I hadn't said anything about Buddhism he wouldn't have known to come beat me up.

God, is it that hard to understand?

In this case, it would be a worthy sacrifice. It's more important to talk about Buddhism than to avoid getting beaten up.

When I talk about Buddhism, I willingly and knowingly make myself open to both respect and hate. I don't just want the respect without the hate, you always get hate for being different. Why deny it when I can just acknowledge it and not let it bother me?

Comment

While we would all be rather "safe" from outside intervention by sealing ourselves in a concrete slab, it's completely ludicrous to pretend like you're part of the problem for not doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
        Why deny it when I can just acknowledge it and not let it bother me?
        Well, if you're going to have an opinion as to whether people beating up Buddhists are treating them fairly or not, it would be an advantage to agree with me.

Originally posted by Blake
        Some women have the idea that they should be able to wear anything they want, and then they get offended when men hit on them
        What you ignore is the fact that we're not talking about women 'being offended when men hit on them', we're talking about assault. I truly hope you are able to see the difference between a situation where a guy makes a sexual approach that fails (defendable in a moral and legal way) and a situation where he ignores her right to reject the offer (unacceptable, no matter the length of her skirt).

Comment

It would be wonderful to dream all day, of a world where I can talk about buddhism and no-one will hate me for it. Wouldn't it be nice to get lost in such a fantasy?

The truth is, people hate those who are different to them. That's human nature. The way to change this is not by insisting "It's wrong to hate those who are different from you!", but simply by leading by example and not hating those who are different. People learn quickly by example, especially when they see how nice and peaceful it is to not make conflict over differences.

The problem is making something a problem.

It's not a problem to me if I get beaten up, because it's just my body, It's not that important, not as important as what I have to say.
          It is a problem for the person who does the beating, because it's a very bad thing to beat up someone, he (or she) will suffer terrible consequences. I will thus do everything I can in my power to discourage them from beating me simply out of compassion. But it's still not a problem for me because there wont be any bad consequences for me. I mean I'll get lots of sympathy and stuff and that'll make people even more receptive to my words, that's good stuff.
          So the thing is, it's not a problem. You're just making it a problem. That's the problem.

Comment

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

So Blake, you are saying that a man raping a woman is not a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                Thumbs up to you Aeson for asking a key question, and I mean that. Looking forward to the man's reply. But just to play devil's advocate though, your signature might end up being used against you.

Comment

Forgiveness requires that there be a problem. Otherwise, what have you forgiven?

Comment

I think he is saying it is a problem. For the rapist.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Forgiveness requires that there be a problem. Otherwise, what have you forgiven?
                      I'll acknowledge the swift comeback. I'd include an additional wink smiley, but we used up the quota already!

Comment

The rape is not a problem.

The problem, is making sure it doesn't happen again. That is the problem for the man, the woman and everyone who cares for either of them.

A problem is something with a solution. There is no solution for things which happened in the past, they've already happened, are in the past, are not problems.

So the problem is making sure it doesn't happen again, or at least, taking measures to reduce the risk.

Realistically, there is ALWAYS the risk a woman will be raped, it simply requires a determined and intelligent enough rapist. But most rapists are not particularly determined or intelligent, the woman can probably find something in her conduct which created conditions ripe for rape - likely something like visiting a shady nightclub and not watching her drink (date rape drug). She could make the possibility of being raped again vanishingly small by avoiding visiting sleazy nightclubs, or at least paying attention to her drink and staying with her friends.

Likewise the man, will likely find something in his conduct which led to the rape happening - for example, perhaps he drunk too much and lost control, or perhaps he's too reluctant to just masturbate to relieve sexual tension.

The question is always what one is willing to give up, in order to avoid needless harm. The woman might decide it's worth giving up sleazy nightclubs, the man might decide it's worth giving up intoxicants or his prejudice against masturbation.

But with regards to problems, you've always got to ask "a problem for who" because there always needs to be the person in the position, with the will, to implement the solution. If there's no will to implement the solution, there's no problem.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                            QFT

Unbelievable!

Comment

I'm going to second you guys here. There's just something about the claim that rape is not in itself a problem that makes any decent fellow go ...

Comment

Blake, you have revealed yourself as a singularly unenlightened sexist pig.
                                I must say, I'm disappointed.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X