Fizzics help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizzics help needed

I've realised that the completely unstructured way I've been going about trying to self-teach physics and mathematics isn't going to work - everything overlaps with everything far too much. So I'm looking for help in structuring my teaching. I'm also planning on starting from scratch.

What I know:

High school physics:

Classical mechanics (sans the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formalisms)
    Fundamentals of ray optics
    Fundamentals classical of electrostatics and electrodynamics, along with the classical theory of magnetism
    Fundamentals of thermodynamics
    Fundamentals of waves/acoustics

High school mathematics:

I know how to do calculus, but I don't understand it at the deeper levels. I can solve problems, visualise it clearly, apply it to physical or other systems, and all that. But the higher-level pure mathematical theory of analysis which underlies it, along with both the analytical and geometric sides of topology, is mystifying to me. I've been trying to remedy this lack, but even there, I found too little structure.

I have one fundamental objective - to understand, to the point where I can visualise clearly (is not simultaneously) both in my mind's eye, the theories of relativity and quantum physics. Then, if I'm still interested, I want to go further. But this is the basic requirement.

Now my plan is as follows:

1) Do the maths. Whatever mathematical tools I require to understand these theories and visualise them, I want to acquire them before I try to touch the physics. Mathematics should never be a stumbling block.
    2) Study basic relativity.
    3) Study basic quantum mechanics.

I want help because I want to know how I can go about doing that. I'm going to study entirely on my own, so book recommendations will be the thing I'll find most useful, preferably of books meant for self-study without the help of a teacher.

I'd like to start from scratch - that is, from the assumption that I know absolutely nothing of relativity or quantum physics whatsoever. Please assume that I know nothing except classical physics. That way, I won't miss anything out, and I'll be learning from introductory material which makes everything explicit.

I'm requesting help and advice in primarily two things:

1) Is my structure or study plan correct? Or is there a better way of going about it?

2) What should the final structure actually be filled with?

What mathematics will I need to learn?
    In what order should I try to learn it?
    How should I tackle relativity? How should I go about it?
    How should I try to understand quantum physics? In what order?
    For both of the above, what are the best methods of learning them? What are the best books?

Excellency, I suggest we delve into the mysteries of Literacy and Navigation.

Comment

Re: Fizzics help needed

Originally posted by aneeshm
      I've realised that the completely unstructured way I've been going about trying to self-teach physics and mathematics isn't going to work - everything overlaps with everything far too much. So I'm looking for help in structuring my teaching. I'm also planning on starting from scratch.
      Oh so you do have teaching experience. Ok.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Re: Re: Fizzics help needed

Originally posted by Kidicious

Oh so you do have teaching experience. Ok.

???

Maybe I was misunderstood. I am no teacher, just a twenty year old student. Self-teaching refers to my attempt to teach myself. And structure my teaching means that I'm trying to structure the way I teach myself. And start from scratch means leave old mental baggage aside and try to learn as if I knew nothing, so that I could learn afresh.

Comment

Good luck. It's a lofty goal to know all that stuff.

Comment

Take physics courses at your university?

Comment

Learn linear algebra. That is key for both relativity and quantum. Understand inner product spaces in particular.

Be able to solve at least relatively simple differential equations.

Real analysis is not a requirement for anything you want to do.

Learn some differential geometry. "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Do Carmo is the classic text. No need to know everything here. Just get the basics. Geodesics, curvatures etc.

Learn EM at a non-trivial level (you probably know it at trivial level). Griffiths' "Introduction to electrodynamics" is good. You need to get all the way to the end in this book.

Learn real classical mechanics. Learn variational calculus! Lagrangians&Hamiltonians are 100% necessary! Some rotation of rigid bodies might also be good. Marion&Thornton for a relatively weak undergrad level. Goldstein is better (grad level). The last chapter does classical field theory. Very important.

I learned GR and quantum from a variety of sources. I can't make a definitive recommendation. "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler is the canonical text for GR, while the Griffiths quantum book is often used to teach undergrads (I've never even opened it, so I can make no other claims for it).
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH sighting!
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

LS sighting!
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Hi KH! Welcome back
                      bleh

Comment

Working...
                      X