Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Hour

Will you take part?

TORONTO - Millions of people across Canada and around the globe are expected to turn out their lights Saturday evening to raise awareness about pollution and global warming in an initiative known as Earth Hour.

The World Wildlife Fund effort that began in Sydney, Australia last March 29 now appears to have caught the imagination of people in dozens of countries, nowhere more so than in this country.

"This has really just blown up across Canada," said Tara Wood, spokeswoman for the fund in Canada.

"Canada is really going to be the shining star in this global effort."

Initially, the fund's idea was to test the Canadian waters in one city - Toronto - to see how the effort should be rolled out in future years. That proved impossible.

"There was no way to control it once people got wind of this really cool lights-out event," Wood said.

"It's been truly phenomenal."

What began as a simple attempt at bringing climate change down to the living-room level has snowballed, burying those who argue Earth Hour is mere tokenism that will do little to cut greenhouse gas emissions or that participating businesses are only interested in their cash registers.

More than 240,000 people and almost 18,000 businesses in countries as far-flung as Botswana, Vietnam and Denmark have all signed up as participants this year via a website groaning under the strain.

But the number of people marking the event that runs from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. local time is expected to be far higher.

About 55,000 Canadians have registered, just behind the United States and ahead of Australia. But 70 per cent of Canadians polled recently said they planned to mark the hour.

Municipalities from Charlottetown and Ottawa to Toronto and Vancouver, from Corner Brook, Nfld., and Melfort, Sask., to Lasalle, Que., and Terrace, B.C., are all recognizing Earth Hour.

In all, about 150 communities across Canada have signed on.

In Hanover, Ont., Zoe Soper, 18, who has challenged fellow students to participate, said she planned to pull the power breaker to her home.

"It's a pretty small thing to just get people to turn off their lights for an hour," Soper said. "Hopefully it will make people more aware of the issues surrounding energy waste."

Cafe Koi in Calgary will attempt to operate without electricity for the entire evening.

Owner Philip Wong said a special menu is in the works that will include food that can be prepared beforehand or without electricity and served by candlelight.

"We'll try to operate as normally as possible," Wong said.

In Toronto, the lights will go out at City Hall and the focus will be on an acoustic concert outside featuring Nellie Furtado.

Ontario, which would usually use between 16,000 and 17,000 megawatts of power on Saturday evening, is forecasting a drop of about 800 megawatts - almost five per cent - during Earth Hour.

That's more than the dip that occurs during the moments of silence each Remembrance Day, said Terry Young, spokesman for the Independent Electricity System Operator in Ontario.

More important than just saving power for an hour, Wood said, is getting people to think about what they can do to help fight climate change - whether it's by turning off lights, washing clothes in cold water or taking public transit.

"Turning off your lights doesn't have the huge energy savings with it, but what it does do is show how individual acts add up to make a big difference."

Last year, about two million people and businesses in Sydney took part, pushing down demand for power in the city by 10 per cent - the equivalent of turning off 50,000 cars for an hour, World Wildlife Fund said.

Some facts:

What: Earth Hour 2008

When: March 29, 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. local time.

How: Turn out the lights.

Who: About 30 major cities around the world, 150 communities in Canada.

Why: Cut greenhouse gas emissions, raise awareness of conservation and climate change.

Registered participants: 240,000 people worldwide have signed up online, 55,000 in Canada (many more expected to take part)

Planned events: Candlelight dinners, smooching, sleepovers, acoustic concerts, lantern walks, star gazing.

Source: World Wildlife Fund

Thieves have no doubt marked the date...
    Yes, power down
    21.62%
    No, I can't be bothered
    59.46%
    I live by banana power
    18.92%
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I hope no one has the misplaced good intention of driving, but just turning off their lights.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

smooching, sleepovers,
      Ah ha!! Here's the real motivation! It's not greenhouse gasses but gratuitous groping.

Comment

It's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Not least because of all the loony liberals who will no doubt be going by car to get some candles at the last minute - to show everyone how much they CARE.

Comment

candles = global warming.

Comment

Sorry, that's during Torchwood...
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
              Sorry, that's during Torchwood...
              Earth Hour has to compete with Hockey Night in Canada here. Good luck with that.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well, considering that Earth Hour will occur at 2:00AM tomorrow (California time)...sure, I will be doing it. I always have my light turned off in the middle of the night.

March 28, 2008 -- Twenty-six major cities around the world are expected to turn off the lights on major landmarks, plunging millions of people into darkness to raise awareness about global warming, organizers said.

'Earth Hour' founder Andy Ridley said 371 cities, towns or local governments from Australia to Canada and even Fiji had signed up for the 60-minute shutdown at 09:00 GMT (5 a.m. EST) on March 29.

"There are definitely 26 (cities) that we think, if it all goes to plan, we are going to see a major event of lights going off," he said.

Cities officially signed on include Chicago and San Francisco, Dublin, Manila, Bangkok, Copenhagen and Toronto, all of which will switch off lights on major landmarks and encourage businesses and homeowners to follow suit.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Wittlich - I have no idea where that time information came from. I've heard 8-9pm in Toronto which would make sense as I can't see Nelly Furtado playing a concert at 5am.

More than 240,000 people and almost 18,000 businesses in countries as far-flung as Botswana, Vietnam and Denmark have all signed up as participants this year via a website groaning under the strain.

But the number of people marking the event that runs from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. local time is expected to be far higher.

Comment

Here is the news link Wezil - It is posted on Discovery News:

"One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                    "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

They can't even organise properly. From the City of Toronto website:

Earth Hour Toronto
                      March 29, 2008
                      8 - 9 p.m. Sign up now!

Nelly Furtado helps turn out the lights in Toronto
                      Canada's own Nelly Furtado, multi-platinum Grammy and Juno
                      Award-winner, will perform a free concert at Nathan Phillips Square on March 29 to celebrate Earth Hour. People across the GTA are invited to attend Toronto's community event which will run from 6:45 p.m. to
                      9 p.m. See hundreds of buildings — including City Hall — in the downtown core turn off their lights, and show your support for action on climate change.

This should be a huge success.

Comment

Stupid stupid idea.

There's no way I'm turning off the power during a Battle of Alberta game during a playoff battle...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher: You mis read it. Its not about shutting off the power completely, you just shut off the lights for an hour. Likewise, even if it when that far, I'd won't shut off the TV either.
                          Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Anything devoted to 'raising awareness' is a joke. It should be on the list of stuff white people like. Winston has it right.

Comment

Originally posted by mrboo123
                              Asher: You mis read it. Its not about shutting off the power completely, you just shut off the lights for an hour. Likewise, even if it when that far, I'd won't shut off the TV either.
                              How can I watch TV without the LCD backlight.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X