Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to be a motorized vehicle owner.... yay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious

I basically have no credit at all. Anyone who would give me credit for a car is going to try to rape me.
    If you have $1500 saved in the bank, get a loan with the $1500 securing the loan.

Really low interest rate, good for your credit score.

It freezes the $1500, but, as you pay the loan, that same payment is unfrozen.

If you pay off the loan, you then have your original $1500.

We did this for $5000 over 3 years, total interest on the loan is something like $167, and with assets unfreezing as we pay, it's like we are simply paying ourselves.

We did this with bad credit, now we are in a position to finance a house.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That's the way my dad told me to do it. Thanks for reminding me.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It gets over 30 mpg. It's nice looking. What's the prob?
        I don't have a problem with it. I have an '05 version of the same car (and colour) that recieves nothing but abuse at this site.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's the way my dad told me to do it. Thanks for reminding me.
          Since you are planning on spending the $1500, there is really no downside.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

I don't have a problem with it. I have an '05 version of the same car (and colour) that recieves nothing but abuse at this site.

Comment

I was a mechanic at a car lot from 96-99. So dealt with the 90-2000 cars (yes, the next year's cars always come out prior to that year)

The things I recall having repeated issues with:

Ford (and therefore Mercury) V-6 engines. Oil leaks like crazy due to a design flaw/feature. essentially the engine is designed to run at a temperature that melts the gaskets and springs leaks. There are aftermarket gaskets that can fix the problem.

Dodge vans, intrigues, neons. All suffered a similar fuel line problem.

Mitsubishi Diamante. Did not like wet weather, always seemed to get wet spark plugs.

Chevy Blazers: transmission issues. IIRC one of the trucks used the same one too, but can't remember which.

Geo - insert model. Numberous engine issues, typically head gasket failure.

Saturn - typically superficial things. Cup holders breaking, the little auto-seat-belt putter on thing in the door, seats tearing, etc.

Honda - paint chipping. Get a clear bra or rock shield for the front.

VW - electrical issues. from radios shorting out, to head lights, to just not starting.

Those are the ones I can recall that seemed like trends. In general, avoid the first year a particular model came out, have a mechanic go over it, and check a review site for the make/model you're looking at.

edit: Oh, and I also agree with the loan vs paying the cash.

I paid cash and had 0 credit history when it came time to try to buy a house. Ended up renting, and Loaning against my own bank account to buy some furnishings and build credit at the same time. 3 year loan that I paid off in 1 year, worked fine.
              Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; March 27, 2008, 12:26.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

That's very helpfull. Thanks.

Comment

Numberous, UnO?

ACK!

Comment

BMW makes quality cars also. The 318ti is really cool. You can't go wrong with a BMW I had a 316 in the early 90's and I loved it.
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
                      BMW makes quality cars also. The 318ti is really cool. You can't go wrong with a BMW I had a 316 in the early 90's and I loved it.
                      Except you have to be an ***hole to own/drive a BMW.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Did you just call me an *******?

Comment

No, I think you self-identified as one.

Comment

You're the one driving the crappy american car noone except an american would be caught dead in...

Comment

But it's not a BMW.

Comment

This is the car I'm trying to get for 1500 right, now the guy wants 1900 but he said he will sell it for 1500 in a couple days if he doesn't get a better offer.

96 chevy cav with 113k miles.
                                Eek, be careful there. We had a (then new) 95 cav and it (and a lot of its bretheren, iirc) had serious electrical problems. We had to replace the starter like four times in a year and a half (in a new car, let me remind you). We got rid of it as soon as we could ...
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X