Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remains of 2 kidnapped U.S. contractors in Iraq recovered; 1 from Texas panhandle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remains of 2 kidnapped U.S. contractors in Iraq recovered; 1 from Texas panhandle

It's things like this that make me waffle between troops just leaving, or going ahead and leveling the place. Talk about no balls, these terrorists are the biggest collection of pansies I've ever heard about, and that includes Antonio López de Santa Anna, who was an extreme wimp.

07:16 PM CDT on Monday, March 24, 2008

Associated Press

The remains of two U.S. contractors kidnapped in Iraq more than a year ago have been recovered, the FBI said Monday, weeks after families of several long-missing men gained hope that they might be found alive.

Ronald Withrow of Roaring Springs, Texas, and John Roy Young of Kansas City, Mo., were among six Western contractors kidnapped separately. The disappearances received new attention this month when the severed fingers of several men were sent to the U.S. military in Iraq.

Several relatives had taken the discovery of the fingers as a hopeful sign, including the father of Jonathon Cote, who remains missing.

"We feel very sad that this is how it turned out. We wish it turned out a better way," Francis Cote said from his home in Getzville, N.Y., near Buffalo.

Cote said he had spoken to the families of Withrow and Young. He said that he was holding out hope his son is still alive but that the discovery of the bodies dampened those hopes.

"Let me say this: I'm not as optimistic as I was in the past," he said.

Withrow worked for JPI Worldwide when he was kidnapped in January 2007. Young worked for Crescent Security Group when he was kidnapped in November 2006. Withrow was among those whose severed fingers were sent; Young was not.

Withrow's mother, Barbara Alexander, said an FBI agent visited her Sunday night.

"You just can't really be prepared for any news like that, especially when you had hope that your son is alive," Alexander said by phone from her home in Afton, Texas, about 270 miles northwest of Dallas.

"I know he's safe from all harm now," Alexander said. "We're bringing him home. That was what our main concern was. And that they're not going to hurt him anymore."

Reading from what she said was the final entry in a notebook, Alexander addressed her son directly:

"I know God has taken you home. I'm just someone that's taken care of you," she said. "It's hard to believe that you're gone. But you're in a more peaceful place than here. I'll see you when I can. Wait for me at the gates of heaven."

Young's mother, Sharon DeBrabander, declined to comment after the FBI's confirmation. A woman who answered the door at the family's home said relatives were expected to discuss Young's death Tuesday.

The other men still missing are Paul Reuben of Minneapolis, Joshua Munns of Redding, Calif., and Bert Nussbaumer of Vienna, Austria. A finger from each was received by the military recently.

Francis Cote said he and other families were visited by the FBI last month and told DNA samples had been identified as those of the hostages. The agents would not say how they had gotten the samples, but one family member said she provided a sample after the FBI asked for one.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Terrorists ain't Texan!
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How did one contractor's remains get to the Texas panhandle?
      Unbelievable!

Comment

He was FROM the panhandle, doofus.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Don't expect me to read beyond thread titles.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

It does kind of read that way, doesn't it?
            Two recovered in Iraq and one from Texas. I didn't even notice that being that way.

Comment

Yesterday, I saw a presentation by SSgt David Bellavia of his memoirs House to House. In the Q&A that followed, someone asked him shouldn't U.S. soldiers being carrying out the tasks assigned to Blackwater. Dellavia's response was, "Who would want that job? Would you want to be the one assigned to guard Congaleeza Rice, knowing that every insurgent in the country is trying to kill her?"

These guys have tough, dangerous jobs. Some pay the ultimate price.

I just wished the Iraqi government would get off its ass, put together a government and security force that work, so we could come home.

Comment

Bingo. EXACTLY right. It's been tried. Anyone can just sit on their ass if someone is going to doit for them.
                Count it in months, be it 3 or be it 6. Then you're on your own, people.

Comment

Remember none of the contractors who die, not even the pseudo mercenaries like Blackwater, get counted as US deaths. Neither do American soldiers maimed or wounded in Iraq who later die in military hospitals outside of Iraq.

In many ways the declared 4000 deaths (and several times that in casualties) just isn't the whole picture.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    American soldiers maimed or wounded in Iraq who later die in military hospitals outside of Iraq.
                    Just OOC what's your source on this?
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Latest Military Fatality Date: Mar 23, 2008

Total Fatalities since May 1, 2003: 4136

Comment

I see the figure, but it doesn't say whether those "extra" 136 are non-US Coalition fatalities, wounded soldiers who later died outside Iraq, or something else.

I've never actually seen a figure specifying combat wounded who died outside Iraq, and assumed they were simply included in the the DoD's reported fatalities, but I can't know for sure.
                        Unbelievable!

Comment

It includes suicides, traffic accidents, whatever. The whole page breaks it all down.

Comment

Iraq is a waste of time to think about. When are you gonna find something more interesting and mentally stimulating to focus on? There's no war in iraq despite what most of you think. It's just security duty for the USA to draw terrorists in who set up car bombs to kill iraqis off, and driving around in humvees to trigger, and thereby get rid of, roadside bombs. What could be less interesting than that day after day?
                            Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Spent much time in Iraq?
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X