Romans and DVD players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romans and DVD players

As BeBro revealed: they didn't have any.

Seriously though, it's bizarre that a widely admired civilization that left a lasting footprint on history didn't posses the knowledge of an ubiquitous device as the DVD player. And they went about calling other people "barbarians".

What possible reason could there be for it? Polytheism? Slavery? Free circuses?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Well, if there were free circuses, would you want to watch movies at home?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I blame polytheism. Romans never got beyond the VHS/BetaMax debate because they weren't conditioned to accept only 1 format...
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

we didnt have any either

it's possible we did have computers though
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Well, if there were free circuses, would you want to watch movies at home?
          Maybe I wouldn't watch action movies, but there's so much more you can watch, like Star Wars or Borat. It's just narrowminded to disregard alternative forms of entertainment.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Even if I could go to teh Colloseum to watch a real fight, I'd still prefer Gladiator
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™
              Maybe I wouldn't watch action movies, but there's so much more you can watch, like Star Wars or Borat. It's just narrowminded to disregard alternative forms of entertainment.
              Yeah, but you'd have to pay for DVD rentals or purchases. That is a consideration.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So basically the Romans were a bunch of cheapskates.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  Even if I could go to teh Colloseum to watch a real fight, I'd still prefer Gladiator
                  And you'd have learned a little of the dangers of emperorship.

Comment

This should be in the history subforum.

Comment

I actually promised not to tell anyone about the lack of electronic entertainment devices in ancient Rome but now it's out....

Originally posted by LordShiva
                      I'd still prefer Gladiator
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        This should be in the history subforum.
                        This thread already has more posts in it than teh History Forum has had all month
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

We should introduce historic birthday threads to solve this prob
                          Blah

Comment

Liar, liar pants on fire.
                            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Romans probably didn't use DVD, but they definitely used CD. They also had DVI. No AC, but they did have DC.

Their selection may have been limited in any case, since there was no G, PG, ect... just X, XX, and XXX.

Comment

Working...
                              X