Lynndie England Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynndie England Interview

She ist one of the faces symbolizing the Iraq war. Pictures showing her abusing Iraqi detainees in Abu Graib prison brought her notorious fame throughout ...

she speaks up while on parole

Hard life now it's over but at least in her town people seem to be nice to her

Mrs. England, a year ago you were released from jail after serving 521 days of a three-year sentence. How are you feeling now?
    Not great but good.

What does that mean?
    (She sighs) Oh, it's just little things going wrong. I'm just trying to get by. Trying to find a job, trying to find a house. It's been harder than I expected. I went to a couple of interviews, and I thought they went great. I wrote dozens of applications. Nothing came of it. I put in at Wal-Mart, at Staples. I'd do any job. But I never heard from them.

You live in Ashby, a small town with a population of 1300. How do people treat you now?
    They don't treat me any different. I haven't met a person yet that's been negative to me. Not since I got home. Most of them back me up one hundred percent. They say, "What happened to you was wrong." And some even say they would have done the same thing.

and some of how it was on the inside

Was Graner already a part of that?
    There was a three-week ride-a-long where two of our guys would work with two of their guys to get to know the ropes and during those three weeks Graner would tell me how they were doing this and that.

What do you mean by "this and that"?
    Pushing them around, stripping them down, putting them in stress positions, yelling at them.

Why did they choose Graner? After all he had a past history of violence.
    Graner had a very commanding voice and they wanted him in that tier specifically.

Who do you mean by "they"?
    The people from Military Intelligence.

How did you react when Graner told you how the detainees were being treated?
    Of course it was wrong. I know that now. But when you show the people from the CIA, the FBI and the MI the pictures and they say, "Hey, this is a great job. Keep it up", you think it must be right. They were all there and they didn't say a word. They didn't wear uniforms, and if they did they had their nametags covered.

Which photos did Graner present to them?
    All of them. He showed them on his laptop. He'd say, "Hey, let me show you this, this is what we're supposed to be doing." And they said, "Yeah, we got great results, keep it up, you're doing a good job." He actually got a letter of commendation for the stuff he did.

not suprising but interesting nevertheless...
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

to add

What did you think when you first saw the detainees wearing women's underpants or rubbing feces on themselves. Did you feel sorry for them?

Well, it was kind of weird at first. But once I started to see the big picture, I thought, okay, here come these guys, the OGAs, the MIs or even officers, and they don't even look twice at it. If they approve, then I'm not going to say anything. Who was I to argue?

These photos made you famous the world over. Even the Rolling Stones wrote a song about you. You have become a symbol, the face of this war.
    That's how I read about it in the papers. People stare at me a lot. When we talk about the negative things that happened in the war, then Abu Ghraib is one of the first things to come up, and they usually name me by name. Although I was only in five or six pictures, I am the most famous. So I suppose I am a symbol of this war. Unfortunately.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You live in Ashby, a small town with a population of 1300. How do people treat you now?
      They don't treat me any different. I haven't met a person yet that's been negative to me. Not since I got home. Most of them back me up one hundred percent. They say, "What happened to you was wrong." And some even say they would have done the same thing.
      That town could win the next "what to nuke" poll by a mile.
      Blah

Comment

Further proof that nothing good has ever come out of West Virginia.

Comment

Of course it was wrong. I know that now. But when you show the people from the CIA, the FBI and the MI the pictures and they say, "Hey, this is a great job. Keep it up",
          Ah, the work of a few bad apples.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

To godwinise this thread a little bit

Lynndie and her companions this way (i.e. by not having any second thoughts about their behavior just because their superiors liked what they did) showed the same authority abiding behavior that made the war crimes of the german army (as well as Auschwitz and the like) possible.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

They presumably think that it was atrocious that she took the fall for crimes of people much higher than her who did no jail time and still have careers...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Indeed. After all, Bush is still president...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

Because they should have dragged her through the streets and stoned her?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Lynndie who?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk

Because they should have dragged her through the streets and stoned her?
                      Why drag her through the streets first? But whatever floats your boat
                      Blah

Comment

Working...
                      X