Race and the justice system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogwash.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
      My concern was not whether or not another trial would change the outcome. Obviously if he's the murderer, he should be convicted.

Rather, to me the issue seems to be that racism and discrimination against blacks, Hispanics, and so forth sometimes seriously undermines how our justice system is suppose to work.
      It was just 40 years ago when the last laws concerning race segregation were abolished in the USA.

There will surely be lots of people still around (and at an age where they still work and/or hold power) who still think that the white race is superor or who were raised by parents with such a minxdset (and share their beliefs).
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I lot of countries kill gays out of habit. That's just one point. Want to whine some more?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

2 injustices don´t make one right.

Just because discrimination of other people because of race (or sexual orientation) is a lesser evil than killing them for this reason there is no reason not to complain about both of them,
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

The assumption then would be that black jurors are prejudiced while white jurors are not; which is a very racist assumption, and hence not permitted. It's one thing to exclude someone for cause for saying "I will not convict a black person", but you can't assume a black person will not convict a black person for the same reason you can't assume a white person will not convict a white person.
            You have to think about probabilities when you are the attorneys I think. What are the probability that the potential jurer would either convict or not? That's just what I think though, not an expert or anything.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

OMG this is boring.
              Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                2 injustices don´t make one right.

Just because discrimination of other people because of race (or sexual orientation) is a lesser evil than killing them for this reason there is no reason not to complain about both of them,

QFT

On another note, in Slowwhand's own "world" racism simply is non-existent in United States.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

You have to think about probabilities when you are the attorneys I think. What are the probability that the potential jurer would either convict or not? That's just what I think though, not an expert or anything.
                  Attorneys are not allowed to assume that a black juror is more or less likely to convict a defendant than a white juror...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                  X