Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are single-malt whiskey snobs supersad haughty people, or are they on to something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortlach Flora & Fauna 16yo (My favorite)
    Highland Park 12yo (great)
    Highland park 18yo (better)
    Highland Park 25yo (best)
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
      Do you guys use the Glencairn Whisky Glass?

I got two at one of the Whisky shows. It's quite nice, but I also have some nice, heavy crystal Glenmorangie-labeled tumblers that feel better in the hand when drinking...but doesn't enhance the nose.
      I use them because I don't add ice.

If you prefer ice, the tumblers are probably better.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• Dalwhinnie 15 year is probably the mildest scotch I ever had; it's very smooth, and I highly recomend it, especially if you dislike the stronger scotches. It claims to be distilled at a highest altitude of any scotch, IIRC.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk
          Dalwhinnie 15 year is probably the mildest scotch I ever had; it's very smooth, and I highly recomend it, especially if you dislike the stronger scotches. It claims to be distilled at a highest altitude of any scotch, IIRC.
          Don't they also call themselves the gentle spirit? This is a terrific Single Malt, and an excellent one to start with.

Comment

• So far I think my shortlist is, in no particular order:

Highland Park
            Balvenie Double Wood
            Dalwhinnie

Ages to be determined by price and availability. I think I can get all of these at the local store, so I'm still keeping an eye out for a rare one I could only get from Park Ave Liquors in NYC...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• If you are a Speyside guy, then you could also try a Tormore. It's a relatively new destillery, but the 2005 10 yo wasn't bad.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Do you need to store whisky in a dark place? I know direct sunlight is bad, but is just on a table inside with regular lights (CFLs and such) fine?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• A lot of destilerries spends a lot of effords on storing, they probably have their ideas after bottling.

I think that it highly depends how long you expect a bottle to "survive". Those that you want to keep - put into a closet - those you want to flash/have high tournaround put on your "display".
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I bought a bottle of JW Green yesterday...and today this is in the paper:

New demand scratches scotch from local liquor lists
                    Demand from Russia, China, India forces scotch drinkers to go dry here
                    Doug Fischer, Canwest News Service
                    Published: Wednesday, November 05, 2008

OTTAWA - The insatiable demand for scotch whisky in China, India and Russia has tipped three popular brands from the shelves of Ontario liquor stores, and likely will drive up the prices of popular single-malts in several provinces.

Johnnie Walker Green Label, Black & White Blended Scotch Whisky and Bell's Scotch Whisky will no longer be available in Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) outlets once current supplies are gone, probably by year end, a spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

The sobering news comes after liquor distributor Diageo Canada, a branch of the world's largest alcohol group, told the LCBO that if it wanted to continue to sell many of its products it would have to pay more to compete with growing markets abroad.
                    Johnnie Walker Green Label, Black & White Blended Scotch Whisky and Bell's Scotch Whisky will no longer be available in Ontario liquor outlets once current supplies are gone, officials said.
                    Johnnie Walker Green Label, Black & White Blended Scotch Whisky and Bell's Scotch Whisky will no longer be available in Ontario liquor outlets once current supplies are gone, officials said.
                    Wayne Cuddington/Ottawa Citizen
                    Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
                    Font:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

The LCBO agreed to meet Diageo's demands in some cases, but apparently balked when it came to the three brands to be discontinued.

That also means the Diageo-distributed products the LCBO will continue to sell likely will go up in price by amounts that will vary, depending on the brand. Some of those brands include high-end single malt scotches such as Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Oban, Talisker, Lagavulin, Gragganmore and Brora, as well as Johnnie Walker's Red, Blue, Gold and Black labels.

Some of the more expensive brands are made by small distilleries that can only produce limited quantities, which drives up demand and prices.

"Essentially it was out of our control," LCBO spokesman Chris Layton said Wednesday. "Diageo came to us and said the demand from places like China, India and Russia was outstripping its ability to supply them."

He said Diageo is simply selling to the buyers willing to pay the most.

It could be worse. In several other provinces, including New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia, even more brands no longer will be available. New Brunswick is losing 11 brands, for instance.

The move comes as burgeoning middle classes in China, India, Russia, South Korea and Vietnam look for new ways to spend their money.

According to a British economic analysis published in March, China's spirits market alone is expected to be worth $50 billion US by 2011. India's market is growing by more than 15 per cent a year, and could exceed $35 billion by the end of next year.

The sheer size of those markets can make it difficult for Canadian liquor buyers and sellers - even those as large as the LCBO, whose total alcohol sales are worth more than $3.5 billion annually - to stay in the game.

"It's the bad side of success," Frank Scott, owner of an award-winning whisky bar in Fredericton, told New Brunswick's Telegraph-Journal newspaper. "Scotch has always been seen as a success product and with incomes growing, people want the American dream."

Scott believes that London-based Diageo, which has been focusing on Asia-Pacific markets for the past few years, eventually will re-offer some of its products in Canada. But he thinks drinkers might have moved along to new brands.

Layton said that even with the cutbacks, the LCBO will continue to sell more than 200 varieties of scotch, the largest selection in Canada.
                    ****ers.

Comment

• My absolute favourite is Lagavulin - great Single Malt, but as some other Islay whiskys, it is not for everyone. The taste is quite distinctive with hints of tar and seaweed. Very good whisky.

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                        I bought a bottle of JW Green yesterday...
                        Did you try it yet? Let me know what you think.

Comment

• Not yet, hope to soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X