Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Minghella

Director Minghella dies aged 54

British film director and writer Anthony Minghella has died aged 54.

Minghella's films included The English Patient - which earned him an Oscar for best director in 1997 - as well as Truly, Madly, Deeply and Cold Mountain.

He had an operation for a growth in his neck last week and the operation seemed to have gone well. But he had a fatal haemorrhage at 0500 GMT on Monday.

Jude Law, who worked with Minghella on three films, said he was "deeply shocked and saddened" at the news.

The actor described him as "a brilliantly talented writer and director" and "a sweet, warm, bright and funny man".

Whatever I did with him, personally or professionally, left me with complete admiration for him, as a character and as an artist of the highest calibre
    Tony Blair

Send us your comments
    Film producer and friend Lord Puttnam said the industry would be "very shocked" to lose their "very well-loved" colleague.

"He started as a writer, he was not a stylist as a director," he said. "He saw himself as a storyteller and his films were very well told, beautifully made and beautifully acted."

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was directed by Minghella in a Labour Party broadcast before the 2005 General Election, said: "Anthony Minghella was a wonderful human being, creative and brilliant, but still humble, gentle and a joy to be with.

"Whatever I did with him, personally or professionally, left me with complete admiration for him, as a character and as an artist of the highest calibre."

Minghella has also directed a TV episode of book The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
    Jude Law in Cold Mountain
    Cold Mountain (2003 - pictured)
    The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
    The English Patient (1996)
    Truly, Madly, Deeply (1991)
    A 90-minute pilot, directed by Minghella and co-written with Richard Curtis, is due to be broadcast on BBC One on Easter Sunday.

Minghella was also chairman of the British Film Institute.

BBC film correspondent Tom Brook, speaking in New York, said Minghella was held in "very high regard by the artistic community".

"He's certainly one of the top directors of his generation in Britain and, in Hollywood, he was definitely held in high esteem so he was definitely in the top 10 directors as we stand now."

Minghella began his career as a writer with his early radio plays winning several awards.

He made his directorial debut in Truly, Madly, Deeply, in 1991.

He went on to write and direct film adaptations of Michael Ondaatje's The English Patient and Patricia Highsmith's The Talented Mr Ripley.

In 1999, he was nominated for an Oscar for writing The Talented Mr Ripley screenplay.

He also directed 2003's Cold Mountain, starring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman and Renee Zellweger, who won the best supporting actress Oscar for the film.

In 2005, Minghella directed his first opera, an English National Opera (ENO) production of Madama Butterfly, at the company's Coliseum home, in London.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I wonder if Minghellapulco is now closed too
    Blah

I thought Minghella is where you get, if your behavior doesn't improve in the time served in Mingapulco.

Anyway, RIP. One of those people, the existence of which I got to know at the day they die. Guess that makes me a troglodyte.

Comment

RIP

I loved "Cold Mountain". A movie that actually did a great book well.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Of that list, I only saw The Talented Mr. Ripley. It was...yeah.

(and by "yeah," I mean "strange and more than a little homoerotic for some reason")
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          RIP

I loved "Cold Mountain". A movie that actually did a great book well.
          Too true.

The strongest part of the book was its descriptive writing, which can't translate over into a movie. Plus, the movie was saddled with Nicole Kidman who, IMHO, is the worst actress in Hollywood. Minghella overcame these hurdles and turned out a good movie.

Comment

Though Kidman is H-O-T!!!
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

She is gorgeous. And Moulin Rouge proves she can sing. But she can't act to save her life.

Comment

Minghella was a great storyteller. I'm a big fan of his work.

RIP
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                X