Possibly Vista related problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly Vista related problem

I downloaded a (legal) copy of Grand Theft Auto from Rockstar. The readme does not guarantee compatibility with modern PC's (by which I assume they mean Vista), but I gave it a try anyway.
    Installed it, started it and played it and I have no issues at all. However, the following times I start GTA, I can get into the main menu, but get a crash to desktop when I attempt to load a game. I reinstall but I have the same issue. I reinstall again after removing all references to the game in the registry but to no avail. Tried to run it in XP SP 2 compatibility mode: nada.

Now, if GTA just isn't meant to be played with Vista, I could live with it. However I was able to run it flawlessly the first time around, but for some reason an obscure force subsequently decided once was enough. And I'll be damned if I won't uncover this force that's been impeding me.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Are you sure it's the same computer?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Perhaps I need to install a tool to verify the ID of my computer?
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Sticky labels.

Comment

The leprachauns could peel it off.

Comment

Set up some traps with Lucky Charms cereal.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Try using compatibility mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Try using compatibility mode.
                  The OP says nada to that.

The fact that it ran once means your hardware is capable. If it worked before, it will work again.

Check out Rockstar's online support. I doubt if they have email contact, but at least peruse the FAQ for specific hardware/Vista issues.

You said you downloaded your copy, which means you were likely in the mood to install new software. Installing new stuff can make the old stuff not work. It also may not have lasted past the first reboot, if you played it straight off the install as most of us do.

System Restore can provide a fix in just a few minutes, and can be undone. You would have to identify which update got you if the problem recurs after catching up again.

Roll back the drivers like video card and sound. Check for the latest drivers for same. Check for the latest DirectX; something might have downgraded you.

Turn off all the background software. Again, you have to run down what is causing it if this works.

Uninstall anything you added between the first and second runs of GTA.

Uninstall GTA, reboot, reinstall.
                  Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
                    The OP says nada to that.
                    Gah. Sorry Colon.

Comment

I thought you were teasing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
                        It also may not have lasted past the first reboot, if you played it straight off the install as most of us do.
                        What exactly do you mean by this?

Comment

Did you install the game, then reboot, then play? Or did you install the game and then immediately play? The reboot can sometimes identify a problem and then you will be unable to thereafter play (or the opposite).
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm quite sure I didn't reboot between when I was able to play and when I wasn't able to play. Could have been only 5 minutes.

I do remember I changed screen resolution settings during my first play. I'm suspecting the game settings are remembered somewhere in the register and those are set to a resolution that conflicts or something. And I can't change it because the meny only can be opened during gameplay (not even from the main menu or the separate GTA Settings executive).

Comment

Working...
                            X