Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey's top prosecutor demands closure of the governing AKP party!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey's top prosecutor demands closure of the governing AKP party!

Turkey's top prosecutor demands closure of the governing AKP

Turkey's chief prosecutor, Abdurrahman Yalcinkaya, has filed a lawsuit to the Constitutional Court requesting the closure of ruling party AKP on Friday. The prosecutor accused AKP of being the center of anti-secular activities. the prosecutor also requested AKP officials', including Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and President Abdullah Gul, ban from politics. Analysts warn the case likely to increase the political uncertainity in the mid-term. (UPDATED)

Yalcinkaya accused AKP of "being (the) focal point of anti-secular activities", the official Anatolian Agency reported. Turkish TV agencies said the prosecutor also requested AKP officials', including Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and President Abdullah Gul, ban from politics.

AKP officials held an emergency meeting with legal advisers to discuss the court, while supporters of the party started to gather in front of the party's headquarter in Ankara, hurriyet.com.tr reported.

The Constitutional Court decided to close the Welfare Party, the party that the Islamist AKP has its roots, in 1997 for being the center of anti-secular activities.

"Everybody should think thoroughly what such a case against a ruling party which has overwhelming majority in the parliament, would bring (to Turkey) or take away from Turkey" Gul was quoted as saying by NTV television. When the reporters asked whether there is a similarity between the cases against AKP and the Welfare Party, Gul replied "Absolutely no", NTV reported.

Turkey's chief prosecutor, Abdurrahman Yalcinkaya, has filed a lawsuit to the Constitutional Court requesting the closure of ruling party AKP on Friday. The...
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

no responses? come on....

just imagine the supreme court trying to ban bush and cheney from politics and close down the republican party!
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I hope this lawsuit loses. What the middle east needs is a real democracy, not top down imposed secularism.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I hope this lawsuit wins. Thanks to Ataturk, Turkey has managed to distance itself quite a bit from the middle east.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
          I hope this lawsuit wins. Thanks to Ataturk, Turkey has managed to distance itself quite a bit from the middle east.
          If that were true, this lawsuit would not even be happening because the concept of courts banning parties based on their views on religion would be foreign and undemocratic.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

courts banning parties based on their views on upholding the constitution is undemocratic?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
            X