"...Hotbeds of devious, selfish and corrupt behaviour"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "...Hotbeds of devious, selfish and corrupt behaviour"

Ants are renowned for their ability to work together, and put the good of the community ahead of personal concerns.

But new research suggests that their colonies are actually hotbeds of devious, selfish and corrupt behaviour.

And it is the royal family - or male ants carrying a so-called "royal" gene - that are largely to blame.

Scientists have discovered that some males pass the gene on selectively, to ensure that their offspring become reproductive queens, not mere workers.

The research, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, used DNA fingerprinting on five colonies of leaf-cutting ants.

The rarity of the royal lines is actually an evolutionary strategy by the cheats, to escape suppression by the altruistic masses that they exploit
    Dr Bill Hughes, Leeds University

This revealed that a larvae's chances of becoming queen depended largely on who its father was.

Previously scientists were adamant that the species was a model of democracy and social co-operation.

It had been thought that nurture was the driving force in selecting royalty - some larvae were fed certain foods to prompt their development into queens.

But now it seems those who have been passed the royal gene have an unfair advantage over the rest.

Dr Bill Hughes, from the University of Leeds, who led the research, said: "The core principle of social societies is they should be egalitarian. We've found this isn't always the case, and that some of the males are cheating. There is a genetic influence on royalty."

Industrious wood ants on a nest
    Genes will help decide whether these ants are royals, or workers

The royal genetic lines are rare in each colony, leading the scientists to think that the ants cunningly spread their sperm around different colonies, so that the unfair advantage to their offspring is not spotted.

If too many larvae became queens, the imbalance could be noticed by the "commoner" worker ants, who might then turn on their leaders.

"When studying social insects like ants and bees," said Dr Hughes, "it's often the co-operative aspect of their society that first stands out."

"However, when you look more deeply, you can see there is conflict and cheating - and obviously human society is also a prime example of this. It was thought ants were an exception, but our genetic analysis has shown that their society is also rife with corruption - and it's royal corruption at that."
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I think they need change! And if even ants can't work for the common good anymore, how are we humans supposed to do it???
    Blah

let's kill each other instead arty:
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Next they'll be throwin smut on bees .

Comment

"There is a genetic influence on royalty."
        Yup.

The Kings of Spain descend from Queen Juana "the Mad" of Castile (1479-1555), who was mentally unstable and prone to fly into rages. Her descendants increased her inheritance by inbreeding: they preferred to marry either their cousin or their niece. These incestuous marriages resulted in the mentally and physically handicapped king Carlos II (1661-1700), who possessed the physical peculiarities of the Habsburgs to an extent that made him little short of a monstrosity.

The Habsburg King Carlos II of Spain was sadly degenerated with an enormous misshapen head. His Habsburg jaw stood so much out that his two rows of teeth could not meet; he was unable to chew. His tongue was so large that he was barely able to speak. His intellect was similarly disabled. His brief life consisted chiefly of a passage from prolonged infancy to premature senility. Carlos' family was anxious only to prolong his days and thought little about his education, so that he could barely read or write. He had been fed by wet nurses until the age of 5 or 6 and was not allowed to walk until almost fully grown. Even then, he was unable to walk properly, because his legs would not support him and he fell several times. His body remained that of an invalid child. The nature of his upbringing, the inadequacy of his education, the stiff etiquette of his court, his dependence upon his mother and his superstition helped to create a mentally retarded and hypersensitive monarch.
        Attached Files
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Ouch. I thought royal portraiture was supposed to make flattering depictions of royals.

Comment

Compared to teh description, that is rather flattering
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It was photoshopped in the 17th century
              Blah

Comment

For sale - Leonardo da Vinci's workshoppe v4.0

Now with humanism palette, figurative composition, better gradation, and perspective. Comes with free copy of Thomas Norton Anti-Papist software.

Selling for only 200 Doubloons.

Comment

well, she has kind of nice eyes at least. And the upper part of her nose isn't bad. And nice hair...
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

It's a he
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Heresson is gay for a 17th century Habsburg prince.

Comment

It is just yet another example of communism not working.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

He? oh. Should've read teh description.
                          He actually reminds me of a friend of mine.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                          X