The 'Face-Slap' Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Face-Slap' Theory

Since DanS obviously read the nytimes online yesterday, I figure he came across this tidbit:

Friday’s employment report — which was so weak that it had many economists declaring that we’re already in a recession — was bad news. But it was actually less disturbing than what’s going on in the financial markets.

The scariest thing I’ve read recently is a speech given last week by Tim Geithner, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Mr. Geithner came as close as a Fed official can to saying that we’re in the midst of a financial meltdown.

To understand the gravity of the situation, you have to know what the Fed did last summer, and again last fall.

As late as August the favorite buzzword of financial officials was “contained”: problems in subprime mortgages, we were assured, wouldn’t spread to other financial markets or to the economy as a whole.

Soon afterward, however, a full-fledged financial panic began. Investors pulled hundreds of billions of dollars out of asset-backed commercial paper, a little-known but important market that has taken over a lot of the work banks used to do. This de facto bank run sent shock waves through the financial system.

The Fed responded by rushing money to banks, and markets partially calmed down, for a little while. But by December the panic was back.

Again, the Fed responded by rushing money to banks, this time via a new arrangement called the Term Auction Facility. Again the markets calmed down, for a while.

But again, the respite was only temporary. Last month another market you’ve never heard of, the $300 billion market for auction-rate securities (don’t ask), suffered the equivalent of a bank run. Last week two big financial companies announced that they had been unable to raise the cash demanded by their lenders. Even Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the giant government-sponsored mortgage agencies long regarded as safe places to put your money, are now having trouble attracting funds.

One consequence of the crisis is that while the Fed has been cutting the interest rate it controls — the so-called Fed funds rate — the rates that matter most directly to the economy, including rates on mortgages and corporate bonds, have been rising. And that’s sure to worsen the economic downturn.

What’s going on? Mr. Geithner described a vicious circle in which banks and other market players who took on too much risk are all trying to get out of unsafe investments at the same time, causing “significant collateral damage to market functioning.”

A report released last Friday by JPMorgan Chase was even blunter. It described what’s happening as a “systemic margin call,” in which the whole financial system is facing demands to come up with cash it doesn’t have. (A financial joke making the rounds, via the blog Calculated Risk: “Who is this guy Margin that keeps calling me?”)

The Fed’s latest plan to break this vicious circle is — as the financial Web site interfluidity.com cruelly but accurately describes it — to turn itself into Wall Street’s pawnbroker. Banks that might have raised cash by selling assets will be encouraged, instead, to borrow money from the Fed, using the assets as collateral. In a worst-case scenario, the Federal Reserve would find itself owning around $200 billion worth of mortgage-backed securities.

Some observers worry that the Fed is taking over the banks’ financial risk. But what worries me more is that the move seems trivial compared with the size of the problem: $200 billion may sound like a lot of money, but when you compare it with the size of the markets that are melting down — there are $11 trillion in U.S. mortgages outstanding — it’s a drop in the bucket.

The only way the Fed’s action could work is through the slap-in-the-face effect: by creating a pause in the selling frenzy, the Fed could give hysterical markets a chance to regain their sense of perspective. And to be fair, that has worked in the past.

But slap-in-the-face only works if the market’s problems are mainly a matter of psychology. And given that the Fed has already slapped the market in the face twice, only to see the financial crisis come roaring back, that’s hard to believe.

The third time could be the charm. But I doubt it. Soon, we’ll probably have to do something real about reducing the risks investors face.

A plan to restore the credibility of municipal bond insurance would be a start (how crazy is it that New York State, rather than the federal government, is taking the lead here?). I also suspect that the feds will have to get explicit about guaranteeing the debt of Fannie and Freddie, which really are too big to fail.

Nobody wants to put taxpayers on the hook for the financial industry’s follies; we can all hope that, in the end, a bailout won’t be necessary. But hope is not a plan.
    Summary: Subprime crisis is really bad, there's been runs on outstanding loans and the lending institutions ain't got the cash. 3rd attempt by Feds to forestall economic meltdown probably won't work.

My questions are: What exactly is NY doing with the bond insurance and how would it fix this mess (if applied by the Feds), and what else could the Fed do? How bad could this get?
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

How bad could this get?
    Doing some reading on, oooh, 1929.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A coworker of mine heading back to Europe is pretty pissed right now.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Bubble, 2.0?
        B♭3

Comment

Ok, so except for my retirement fund, most of my money is in cash. My question is: what do I buy, and when?
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

"You idiot! Get back in there at once and sell... SELL!"

Comment

A lotta looks but no answers?
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                Ok, so except for my retirement fund, most of my money is in cash. My question is: what do I buy, and when?
                Chineze Yuan and now wait for them to depeg from dollar and bonanza...

otherwise the worst that can happen is that it depreciates along with the dollar, but if dollar slides too much there will be ever increased pressure for the Chinze to depeg...
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Doing some reading on, oooh, 1929.
                  We need a dead pool for this.

One consequence of the crisis is that while the Fed has been cutting the interest rate it controls — the so-called Fed funds rate — the rates that matter most directly to the economy, including rates on mortgages and corporate bonds, have been rising. And that’s sure to worsen the economic downturn.
                  Yep, got a good feeling about this.

Comment

Meh, after living thru the 1998-2002 Argentine economic crisis, no economic crisis scares me
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

That was because the U.S. sneezed. Now we have a cold and some people think it's the onset of pneumonia.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

After living through Civ III, no economic crisis scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

Yep, got a good feeling about this.
                          I believe that's approximatly the 13,516th time it is questioned whether the Fed Fund's rate can have an impact.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

Chineze Yuan and now wait for them to depeg from dollar and bonanza...

otherwise the worst that can happen is that it depreciates along with the dollar, but if dollar slides too much there will be ever increased pressure for the Chinze to depeg...
                            Interesting idea. Any idea what a depegged yuan woudl be worth? I did a bit of Googling, but couldn't find a clear answer.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

this was from 06

and way back than the rate was 8.16 or so for a decade...

just looked up today it' 7.09 so it's already slowly happening... so if you got 816 yuan in 06 for 100USD today you could convert that to 115 USD... which is not too shabby considering that the currency is not really depegged... but just gradually strengthens... and that US economy is now markedly weaker than in 06...

so you can only hope for a better return over the next two years... and if you are lucky even some fairly spectacular ones, but I wouldn't count on that... for safety & liquidity I think it should be a very safe bet though, probably the best combination of the two in todays pretty volatile situation... esp as you are unsure where to put your money in...
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X