17-month-old girl from TEXAS knows how to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Wow, impressive little girl. BTW, what is the usual age at which kids learn to read? Three? This would then be cutting it almost in half, right?
    Probably the most common age when learning to read in Finland is around 6-7, on a first grade. Then there are those who already learned it before school and those for whom it takes years to get.

Comment

Originally posted by JulianD
      Someone on some other site said exactly the same thing..
      WTF is that other site?
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I-like-little-girls.com

Comment

In general people learn to read between 5 and 6 in the US (kindergarten). Some certainly learn later or earlier, but the focus in kindergarten is to learn typically about 100 words (more than enough to do what she's doing above) plus develop sounding out ability.

I learned at 2 (probably like 32 months or so I imagine), but my parents were insane
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Look at what they had to deal with, you little ankle biter.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It took me until I was 5 to learn how to read silently. They spent two years yelling at me to stop reading so loud I read everything I could get my hands on... and reread and reread it, so I'm sure by that point my mother could recite Frog and Toad Together from memory
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They must be carpetbaggers...
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I thought it was a 17 year old girl
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I saw the emphasized TEXAS in the title and was impressed that a 17 year old had managed to become literate. Wait? 17 MONTHS old, AND from TEXAS?!

Seriously, that is one amazing kid. Thanks for posting.
                    Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

You are so redundant it's pathetic. You didn't say one fresh thing. I guess idiot is relative. I guess someone that blindly quotes an idiot is a bigger idiot.
                      Last edited by SlowwHand; March 12, 2008, 23:54.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The use of speech pathologists in early childhood education is now the norm for getting langauge challenged children ready for formal schooling. This child has a perfect set-up, two live-in speech pathologists.
                        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I thought it said 17 year old girl, since Texas has a much dumber population relative to the rest of the US, my mind did it all automatically. Silly me

Comment

So evidently you're way below this girl, uh dumb****?

Comment

Well, Texas has an average IQ of 100, so it's a good thing she figured it out eventually. Many never do

Comment

Did anyone make a joke about her being a 17 year old poorly educated Texan yet?
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X