Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A different type of drinking establishment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A different type of drinking establishment.

My friends and I were bored with the run of the mill type bars and we wanted to try something different. I mean the choices seemed to always either be a local pub, a dive bar, or some expensive trendy place which is more club then bar so we decided to head over to the Asian part of town (Clairmont Mesa & Kearny Mesa are an ethnic neighborhood filled with people from all over Asia). We checked out a place called Min Sok Chon which is a recreation of a 16th century Korean beer hall. Here's the write up from the local paper:

Min Sok Chon

Private karaoke rooms with dynamic disco lighting and Korean spirits are all the rage at this folk village-themed bar

A magic portal lies tucked away in the corner of an oft-overlooked Kearny Mesa strip mall. It's really nothing more than a simple weathered door that leads into a room that feels like thousands of miles away, where paper lanterns dangle above chunky wooden tables, strips of bamboo line the walls and R&B hot off the Seoul scene fills the air. You've stepped back in time, over the Pacific and into a traditional Korean folk village, which is what the name Min Sok Chon means. Think of it as a beer garden fit for a fight scene in any number of kung fu films, where businessmen toast the end of the workday with rounds of beer and soju (Korean rice vodka).

The menu is as authentic and extensive as they come, with items such as silkworm soup, boiled baby octopus, stir-fried kimchi and pork, and the ever-popular seafood pizza. Private karaoke rooms complete with dynamic disco lighting that house up to 20 singing wonders can be rented by the hour.

It was kind of a combination beer hall, restaurant, and karioki bar. I actually tried the silk worm soup which I hadn't seen at any of the other Korean restaurants and I couldn't believe how packed the place was. I mean officially it closed at 1:00am but when we left at 2:00am the place was still packed. Tons of people drinking soju and Koreans beer while singing horrible versions of bye, bye Ms American Pie. I'm really glad my friends girlfriend volunteered to be the DD.

Korean bars.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

You ate bondaeggi? Bleck.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
    X