Physics pwns Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physics pwns Ice Cream

Former Speaker of the House Denny "Jabba" Hastert was sick of being an ineffectual player in the Minority, so decided to go back home to Illinois. A special election for his seat was held tonight. Despite scandals surrounding his leadership, Hastert won the district by 20% in '06, and Bush won it by 11% in '04. It shouldn't have been competitive - in a normal year.

The Dems ran a physicist and political neophyte, Bill Foster, against a Republican dairy magnate who had run multiple political campaigns, Jim Oberweis. Foster campaigned heavily against the Iraq war and for civil liberties (i.e. not what conventional wisdom would dictate in a conservative district).

Most of the time, an underdog in an unfavorable environment wins a special election by taking an overconfident party by a surprise in a low turnout affair. This is not what happened. The Dem and GOP Congressional Committees each threw in a million dollars. McCain stumped for Oberweis, and Obama cut an ad for and directed supporters to Foster.

Foster won this thing by 5%. Turnout was around 20-30% (which is pretty shocking for a special election).

The NRCC (the House GOP fundraising apparatus) Chair, Tom Cole, is likely to resign over this situation. He has been badly trailing the Dem counterpart in fundraising, and just blew a ****-ton of resources that he didn't have (20% of the Committee's cash on hand) to defend a Republican stronghold.

The Dems just won decisively in the first major battle of 2008. And Obama can make a compelling argument about his coat-tails.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

What about ice cream?
    Unbelievable!

Comment

qft

Comment

Oberweis is in the ice cream biz.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Hell, here I am, all tuned up for ice cream.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Foster won laregely due to the idiotic commercials they ran. I live in Chicago, practically home of the negative campaign ad, but the ones the NRCC ran were the worst I've ever seen. I guarantee you that was the difference. They were annoying, obviously faked, and extremely negative; further, they were pure NRCC attack ads and didn't have the "I approved this message" part (as they were paid for by the NRCC). Of course, there was an identical ad paid for by Oberweis...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Strictly speaking he's in the milk business, but anyway

Comment

NRCC incompetence

So does Oberweis duck out for November and give the Party a chance to appoint a better candidate?
                -Bokonon

Comment

No, I'm fairly sure they'll run him again. Perhaps without the NRCC

Comment

i'd really like some ice cream right now.

Comment

I SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

That work?

Comment

thankyou
                          their strawberry milkshakes are ZOMFGYUMMMYYYYY

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            That work?
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Birthday Cake ice cream

Comment

Working...
                              X