NASA Now reliant on Russia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    The Soyuz and Progress are dated, but they are certainly reliable and relatively inexpensive.
    Which means they're good engineering. Who's going to be the first American in this thread to admit that?

Comment

I thought I was the first.

They're good engineering. They do have some limitations and in 3 or 4 years they'll be obsoleted by American hardware, on the other hand. But you can be sure that both Progress and Soyuz will be flying for years.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        I thought I was the first.

They're good engineering. They do have some limitations and in 3 or 4 years they'll be obsoleted by American hardware, on the other hand.
        How do you anticipate them becoming obsolete? What will the newer systems do better or at less cost?

Comment

The SpaceX Dragon capsule mentioned in the article will carry up to 7 passengers, and -- in the cargo configuration -- will have downmass capability. This compares to the Soyuz which carries 3 passengers and Progress which has no downmass capability.

The Russians have been looking for money for years to upgrade Progress and Soyuz. We're talking early Cold War technology here.
          Last edited by DanS; March 8, 2008, 17:09.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

I hope you get run over by a train.
            QFT

Lonestar
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
              I think I'll refrain from comments.
              Don't go. The polytubbies need you. They look up to you.
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Serb
                QFGDMFT
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Ahh for the glory days of Apollo.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                    Ahh for the glory days of Apollo.
                    You mean these glory days?

Unbelievable!

Comment

Not particularly, no.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

Don't go. The polytubbies need you. They look up to you.
                        SMAC references
                        I'm not going anywhere, don't get your hopes up. I just didn't want to bash NASA.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Asher in 3....2....1....

Spec.
                          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Yikes! Pretty soon all our base are belong to them!
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

soon they'll be singing L'Internationale in Russian at Cape Canaveral
                              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...le_Russian.ogg
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                                I just didn't want to bash NASA.
                                I can understand that. NASA gets enough bashing from Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X