• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBC cuts crap from boring show, Quebec declares war

Quebec singer accuses CBC of racism

Mar 06, 2008 06:30 PM
    THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONTREAL–A legendary Quebec singer who says he hoped music could bridge the two solitudes is calling CBC-TV "racist" for cutting all of the francophone singers out of a Toronto concert broadcast.

Claude Dubois said he was shocked Monday when he watched CBC's taped broadcast of the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame gala and found that the francophone performances had failed to make the show.

This led to a tirade in Le Journal de Montreal where Dubois proclaimed that francophone Quebecers are "like a stain for the anglophones of Toronto."

Dubois, who joined Paul Anka as modern-era inductees at the hall of fame, was still outraged today but he directed his ire at the CBC instead of Toronto.

"Imagine a gala where we invite several anglophone artists but we take them off the air because they're anglophones," Dubois told The Canadian Press.

"We call that racism."

Dubois charged the decision to leave out the francophone performances was an overtly political one, which sends a sinister message to Quebecers.

"It goes beyond racism," he said. "It's a bit like saying we want Quebec without the Quebecers."

The CBC denied there was anything to the decision other than programming considerations.

"The broadcast was an attempt to capture a three-hour gala in 44 minutes," said CBC spokesman Jeff Keay. "Both us and the songwriters' association recognized that it was impossible to fit everyone in and we agreed upon who would be included."

He pointed out that a lengthy tribute to jazz legend Oscar Peterson, who died last December, cut into the time available for other performances. Ultimately the CBC had to consider its audience.

"This was a broadcast on CBC English television aimed at an anglophone audience," Keay said.

"The consensus view between us and the Songwriters Hall of Fame was to focus on musicians and music most familiar to an anglophone audience."

The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame indicated it tried to convince CBC executives to include Dubois’s performance on account of the popularity of his latest album, which has sold some 250,000 copies.

They learned of CBC’s decision less than two hours before the gala.

“In fairness they considered it,” said Peter Steinmetz, the group’s chairman and an executive producer of the gala.

“They will tell you it was a decision taken jointly with us and that would not be untruthful,” he added. “But we have no power to drive that decision.”

CBC executives have repeatedly blocked the hall of fame’s attempts to air its bilingual gala in its entirety. But Steinmetz acknowledged that compromise is necessary as no other broadcaster is interested in picking it up.

“The only people that gave us the time of day were CBC, the English network,” he said.

“We could not even get in the door of Radio-Canada. Our French directors tried to get a French broadcaster and failed.”

Dubois' career spans more than 40 years and includes performances with such leading Quebec singers as Gilles Vigneault.

He has been described as Quebec's "last authentic bohemian" and its "first real punk."

TABARNAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

War? The plan doesn't call for war until 2012...
    What?

Comment

Removing dead languages from mainstream use
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

"It goes beyond racism," he said. "It's a bit like saying we want Quebec without the Quebecers."

What? I thought we didn't particularly want Quebec, either

Comment

They have some resources we may find useful.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Like me.
            What?

Comment

They didn't want to remind any listening Usians that there are so many quasi-frenchie people so close to our border. Don't worry, we don't pay any attention to you guys.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                They have some resources we may find useful.
                What, like Hydroelectric plants?
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

And slaves.

Comment

Like me.
                    What?

Comment

They also have a hockey player factory we could use for international competition.

Comment

What, Quebec is actually good for something? I was persauded by the propaganda that it was nothing more than a hole in the ground just like Stoke.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

List of things found in holes in the ground:
                          * Coal
                          * Oil
                          * Diamonds
                          * Potatoes
                          * Pirate Treasure
                          * Uma Thurman

Holes in the Ground
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I don't understand why CBC would trim out all the French. It's music.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Who even watches the CBC? It pretty much sucks
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X