110 billionaires in the world. Yay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369

Among other things, you can't convert "$10" to "Dinner" directly; someone has to actually *grow* the food (or raise it or whatever). Feeding the starving in Africa is a much more difficult task than simply handing out checks on the street corner.

I wonder what the inflation rate would be if the US government took a tax of 100% on capital holding over $5m, and handed a check to every citizen (children included) for ($tax)/(300m) or whatever the current population is. 40%? 45%?
    There would be a mad rush to get that money out of the US by any means necessary, followed by a complete halt to any earnings and investments over 5M.

This of course would devalue the dollar, but it wouldn't necessarily be inflationary.

Comment

I'm assuming the US would take an audit first and then ask for the money

Also, it would be a one-time tax, so no disincentive to earning.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
        Stepping on the backs of the working people all the way to the top, eh?
        My boss or me? I'm the one doing the work.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          In some instances, I think that having lots of billionaires is a very negative thing. In the US, there's a strong preference for giving your money away upon your death, so I don't think it's a huge issue. In other countries, it may be different.
          It's not like you can keep it.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, I should further say that in the US, we tend to give away the money to charity, not to the trust funds of kids/grandkids.

F.e., #1 (Buffett) and #3 (Gates) are both giving away to charity substantially all of their fortunes. #2 (Slim from Mexico) might be a different story. Don't know.

I do think that fantastically concentrated wealth is something to keep an eye on.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

It's not like you can keep it.
              That doesn't mean you have to give it away.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by b etor

are any of them really hot and under 35???
                I don't recall you having any issue with older material.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

DanS, why do you thinkth e concentration of wealth in a single persons hands is a good thing in and of itself? Even if they did nothing to earn it?

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't think you can really earn a billion dollars.

Comment

Speak for yourself only please.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        DanS, why do you thinkth e concentration of wealth in a single persons hands is a good thing in and of itself? Even if they did nothing to earn it?

JM
                        I did not say that it was good or bad. I do think that we are playing with all sorts of unintended consequences if the government steps in to give the ultra-rich an additional haircut beyond graduated income taxes. We want the ultra-rich to act rationally with their money, not to spend all their days avoiding taxes.

Mostly, I guess I have a vague aversion to inherited wealth and ill-gotten gains. This might include Russian oligarchs. It doesn't include Warren Buffett.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

AMT

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            I'm assuming the US would take an audit first and then ask for the money

Also, it would be a one-time tax, so no disincentive to earning.
                            I'm sure that they would believe you about it being only a 1 time tax.

Comment

Keep in mind I'm not actually *suggesting* doing this, I'm saying what would happen if it was done (aka sociocommunist redistribution plans)
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's what will happen if very liberterrian people get power and funnel more money to the rich (and remove protections from the poor). Then the revolution will come and there will be a large wealth transfer away from the rich.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X