No announcement yet.

Lost civilisations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as no one comes up (digs up) any hard evidence my answer to the question in the OP is no. Berzerker (is he still around?) may disagree though.
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
      As long as no one comes up with (digs up) any hard evidence my answer to the question in the OP is no. Berzerker (is he still around?) may disagree though.
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Ancient texts mention interactions with places we cannot currently identify, e.g., Egyptian references to cities "below the upper Nile" whence came the concept of iron-working. The bible even has a couple of such references. In South America, we know that there were civs before the civs that came before the Incas; civs that actually built the elaborate irrigation systems used by the Incas. Jungles tend not to preserve stuff nearly as well as deserts. These Kenya/Congo and ancient American civs may have left few traces that we could now identify.

Not sure of the basis for "a pre ice-age civilization is absolutely unimaginable without dumping basically all theory about the development of humanity." Why would these theories be ruined if one (or more) civs developed and died out in that period? For a long time, archeologists contended no building or civ could be more than 6,000 years old because of the Bible and its defining of creation. We now know better than that. Why is the last Ice Age such a huge barrier? I mean this as a serious, presumably answerable question - not as a taunt.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer

Not sure of the basis for "a pre ice-age civilization is absolutely unimaginable without dumping basically all theory about the development of humanity." Why would these theories be ruined if one (or more) civs developed and died out in that period? For a long time, archeologists contended no building or civ could be more than 6,000 years old because of the Bible and its defining of creation. We now know better than that. Why is the last Ice Age such a huge barrier? I mean this as a serious, presumably answerable question - not as a taunt.
          I agree, a pre-ice age civ could have easily developed and then be destroyed by the ice age. It would all be about timing. I think it could have reached something as advanced as bronze working and still be undiscovered today.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

I agree, a pre-ice age civ could have easily developed and then be destroyed by the ice age. It would all be about timing. I think it could have reached something as advanced as bronze working and still be undiscovered today.
            Ancient Guy #1: Global cooling is going to destroy civilization as we know it. We must invent the automobile so we can pump tons of CO2 into the atmosphere and warm the planet up.

Ancient Guy #2: Automobiles?!? Bah! You know people will never give up their wooly mammoths.

Comment

Working...
            X