Equal rights or separate but equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake
    A similar question for communal living arrangements, is whether it's right to prepare vegetarian food for ideological vegetarians - particularly those who merely object to cruelty and don't have an aversion to meat itself.

At what point, should dietary preferences become a matter of "Prepare your own food!".
    Do you try to relate every subject to Vegetarianism or Buddhism?

Comment

Sometimes he tries to relate a subject to vegetarianism AND Buddhism. Not often, though. He mostly saves that for "enlightened vegetarianism/Buddha loves Broccoli" threads.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

How about a compromise? Make the "men only" time one hour three times / week.

Harvard's a pretty big place. How big is their gym? Could this group reserve only certain parts of the gym a few hours / week, but allow the rest of the gym to stay co-ed during those time periods?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV

Do you try to relate every subject to Vegetarianism or Buddhism?
          Vegetarianism is just a hobby of mine, I associate closely with the Thai Forest Tradition of Theravada Buddhism, which isn't vegetarian but is the most true to Buddha. If I were a hardcore vegetarianism idealistic, I'd have to associate with Mahayana Buddhism or something - but vegetarianism isn't THAT important, it's only nice.

But I do relate every subject to Buddhism. That's because I have the Buddhist attitude to life . So all things ARE Buddhism to me .
          There's no trying about it .

Comment

You know, we ran a poll to determine whether I was the next reincarnation of Buddha. Before it was deleted (for some reason), me being Buddha was in the lead.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, all things do have Buddha nature.

Comment

Religion sucks!
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Religion just is.

Comment

Buddhist monks set themselves on fire once, I mean wtf they must have been bored ****less.

Comment

Wiggy I don't think it was for entertainment .

Comment

They did it to protest government policies.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

In other words, they're a pack of morons. Probably insane.
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Equal rights or separate but equal?

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            No similar arrangement has been made for male students or for other religious groups.
                            This seems irrelevant, unless said groups have petitioned for seperate gym-hours and were denied.

unAmerican
                            This is an awkward argument to use in this context.
                            "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

When I studied at a University in Finland, they had certain "women only" hours in the sauna at the student house.

(Note: In Finland, you don't bring swimsuits or towels into the sauna)
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                                (Note: In Finland, you don't bring swimsuits or towels into the sauna)
                                Why would you bring those things?

They don't belong to a sauna. You can bring boughs of silver birch or a pefletti if you like, but anything else should be left out.

Pefletti: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pefletti
                                Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Working...
                                X