No announcement yet.

German Titanic on tv or how Bebro wasted 3 hrs of his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me of when that German U-boat commander had to relive the events as a passenger of a civilain transport ship he sank.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I remember that one - was it a "Twilight Zone" episode?
      Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          the sinking itself tried to recapture the look from 'Titanic', just that it wasn't nearly half as spectacular

You saw Titanic?
          Isn't it a movie for thirteen year old girls?
          BeBro saw it back when he was a thirteen year old girl

Comment

Re: German Titanic on tv or how Bebro wasted 3 hrs of his life

Originally posted by BeBro

The movie did not even try to show the wider circumstances of the situation along the Baltic cost in early 45, the Soviet advance, the helpless Germans attempts to stop it, or the mass flights of civilians from the area. The 'historic' part was limited to those hours from leaving Gotenhafen (today Gdynia in Poland) to the sinking later. Most of the time they focussed on silly personal stuff and some absurd and amateurishly done thrilleresque side plots, which gave the impression that the whole NS time was only because of some bad eggs. On the technical side they had some nice CGI stuff with the ship and the sub attack, but overall quite short and not sooo good that it could save the movie. The depiction of the sinking itself tried to recapture the look from 'Titanic', just that it wasn't nearly half as spectacular.

So it failed on both the entertainment and the history aspect. Overall it was just a big "WTF?"

*rant end
            You're addressing a trend that is noticeable in many documentaries lately. They often think some nice CGI will do the trick.

What makes it interesting is the whole context around it. While a few personal anecdotes are always pleasant, it's hugely disturbing when a documentary about some important event is revolving entirely around some dude or chick that lived it through.
            Unless of course, it is about an important person in history
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
            X