The Complete Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Complete Suck

So I am up here in MD, to visit freinds and talk to my advisor. Friday I went to my car and found 4 parking tickets on it (one was the obvious one for parking after the meter expired,all these tickest totalled ~100$). One of those were for expired tags, mine expired in January, but I have forgotten about this. I discovered this Friday evening, so I tried to park my car in safe places until Monday (when I can go to the DMV to get it taken care of).

Unfortunately, I parked my in myfreinds visitor parking spot and it was towed early this morning).

I called them, and they told me to come to pick up my car at 5 pm and to bring 150$ cash. One of my freinds told me that was wrong (credit cards had to be accepted), and directed me to print out that section of the PG county law. So at 5 pm I went to th tow company spot with the pages in hand (which said 100$ for all fees/storage for the first day, 50$ for each additional day, maximum). When I was going in, I saw that they had a sign that said that they closed at 1 pm.

I talked to the guy who said it was 150$, I said it was 100$, he said he would go to see the papers (and I called my freind), when he came back he told me that I needed to leave. So I left.

Additionally, I always leave my car in park with the emergency brake on. When I looked at the tires, my front tires were extremely scuffed up while my back tires look normal (my car is front wheel drive).

Their listed hours has them opening tomorrow at 9 am. What should/can I do.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Break in and steal your car.

The next day show up and say, "Dude, where's my car?"
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Get Donegeal to pull some strings
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I am thinking, what if they don't want to admit that they dragged my car? Should I sue them for damages on my car from dragging it? (admittedly, if the only damages are wear on tires, that isn't much, but can you damage your transmission?) At what point shuold I call them cops? I was actually going to today, and did call, but they said that they can't force him to open up his place of business after hours. (that it was a civil matter)

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You're hosed. Take a pass on fighting this one. It will only piss you off.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

(See next post)
            Last edited by Zkribbler; March 2, 2008, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              Get a receipt.
              File a police report.
              File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
              Check with Legal Aid or a lawyer.
              Sue.

Comment

How do you file a police report?

Second, DanS, do you recommend paying the 200-250$ that they will try to charge my tomorrow (based upon what the guy was saying today). According to the PG law I printed out, I should owe a maximum of 150$ tomorrow.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I hear ya Jon, but it's not worth fighting for the marginal dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'd be tempted to sue myself.

As for damage to your tires, it was what they had to do to tow you. I doubt you'd get a sympathetic hearing in court. That said, you might use the threat of a suit to get your way, should you end up having an argument with these folks.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The tires are only a marginal concern. What if my transmission is damaged (can happen if towed on front wheel drive in park), the car I bought new 2 years ago new, and only hs 24k miles on it.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

You were probably towed onto a flatbed truck. I guess it's possible that they didn't and you have transmission damage. IANAM. In which case you would have to sue, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        How do you file a police report?
                        Either:
                        Go to the police department
                        or
                        Call them on the phone [--not at 911 ]

Comment

Sucks dude.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I've been towed in DC a few times. It really sucks and is very expensive. Much of the reason why I got rid of my car.

Comment

Why is that all tow companies seem sketchy and barely legitimate? How is that good for business?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X