Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pentagon says Airbus is preferable to Boeing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon says Airbus is preferable to Boeing?

How bizarre?

US lawmakers blast Boeing defense contract snub

1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) — US lawmakers have reacted angrily after the US military awarded a 35-billion-dollar aircraft deal to Europe's Northrop Grumman/EADS group, in a major blow to US manufacturers Boeing.

"It's stunning to me that we would outsource the production of these airplanes to Europe instead of building them in America," said Republican Senator Sam Brownback about the Pentagon's decision.

"I'll be calling upon the Secretary of Defense for a full debriefing and expect there will be a protest of the award by Boeing."

The US Defense Department announced Friday that it was awarding the deal for a fleet of in-flight refuelling craft to the Northrop Grumman/EADS team, in a huge coup for Boeing's main rival Airbus.

The surprise choice of EADS marks the European group's entry into the lucrative US defense market, where so far it had had only a marginal presence.

Boeing voiced strong disappointment after the contract slipped through its hands and said it would ask for an explanation.

"Once we have reviewed the details behind the award, we will make a decision concerning our possible options," said Boeing spokesman William Barksdale, hinting at a possible protest.

While European political and industry leaders have hailed the decision, many Republicans have been left seething.

"We should have an American tanker built by an American company with American workers," said Republican Representative Todd Tiahrt.

"I cannot believe we would create French jobs in place of Kansas jobs."

Boeing, the second leading US defense contractor after Lockheed Martin, had been considered the heavy favorite for the contract and according to its website is the largest employer in Kansas.

The contract for the newly named tanker, the KC-45, is one of the largest Pentagon contracts in recent years and the first order on a tanker market valued at more than 100 billion dollars in more than 30 years.

Los Angeles-based Northrop Grumman and the European Aeronautic Defense and Space Company (EADS), parent of Airbus, will provide up to 179 tankers for the US Air Force.

"The tanker is the number-one procurement priority for us right now. It is the first step in our critical commitment to recapitalize our aging fleet to move, supply, and position assets anywhere," said General Duncan McNab, US Air Force chief of staff, in a statement.

The stunning victory for EADS comes as group CEO Louis Gallois seeks to build up its presence in the defense sector, judged to be less cyclical than civil aeronautics.

Gallois told AFP the contract was a "great subject of pride" for the company and would "encourage it to pursue its strategy in the United States."

A spokesman for French President Nicolas Sarkozy said he had called Gallois "to pay homage to this historic success."

"He is delighted that after recent difficulties, EADS has come back brilliantly with record orders, particularly in one of the most difficult and demanding defense markets in the world," said David Martinon in a statement.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel, in a statement, called the deal "an immense success for Airbus and for the European aerospace industry."

Airbus will assemble the tankers in Mobile, Alabama, and has vowed to transfer assembly of its commercial 330 aircraft there, creating jobs.

Republican Alabama Senator Richard Shelby welcomed the decision. "Not only is this the right decision for our military, but it is great news for Alabama," he said.

The contract was expected to bring up to 1,800 jobs to the Mobile area and 5,000 to the state, he added.

Boeing and the EADS-Northrop team had been competing for more than a year for the prize, which offers a cushion for decades in case of a downturn in the highly cyclical market for commercial aircraft.

EADS's winning offer is a modified version of the Airbus 330. The commercial plane will be militarized by Northrop Grumman and its American partners to prevent the transfer of sensitive technology to a foreign entity.

Boeing had proposed a version of its long-haul cargo plane, the 767-200.

In May 2003, a similar tanker contract was awarded to Boeing, but it was annulled under allegations of procurement fraud, for which Boeing paid a record 615-million-dollar settlement to the government.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

"It's stunning to me that we would outsource the production of these airplanes to Europe instead of building them in America," said Republican Senator Sam Brownback

Airbus will assemble the tankers in Mobile, Alabama

Sam Brownback
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Plane will be built by Americans, and the military parts will be done by an American company. I don't see the issue... if Boeing wants to win the contract, they can play fair and make the better bid.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        "It's stunning to me that we would outsource the production of these airplanes to Europe instead of building them in America," said Republican Senator Sam Brownback

Airbus will assemble the tankers in Mobile, Alabama

Sam Brownback
        He's just mad they're not being made in Kansas
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

EADS's winning offer is a modified version of the Airbus 330. The commercial plane will be militarized by Northrop Grumman and its American partners to prevent the transfer of sensitive technology to a foreign entity.
          I'm somewhat concerned about this part
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Plane will be built by Americans, and the military parts will be done by an American company. I don't see the issue... if Boeing wants to win the contract, they can play fair and make the better bid.
            My understanding is that most parts will be built in Europe, and assembled in America.

Comment

Didn't teh A380 sink Airbus?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Amphibious planes.

Comment

Not yet, but maybe it will sink Singapore Airlines
                  Blah

Comment

Sinkapore Airlines

Comment

The A330 is a newer and more modern plane than the 767, I'm not sure why this was a complete surprise.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

great title!
                        US lawmakers blast Boeing defense contract snub

and then the article quotes one Kansas senator against the contract and one Alabama senator in favor of it
                        (and both Republicans!)
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Boeing should note that having a 757 smash into the Pentagon is not the correct way to gain a defense contract.

Comment

So will Airbus defenders please stop the ridiculous accusation that US military contracts are just as much of a government subsidy of Boeing as Airbus's loans for risk free product development and launching?

Comment

To be fair, Geronimo, the original purchase in 2002 for the tankers was for the KC-767 and it was nullified due to corruption in the government not giving Airbus a fair shake.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X