Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pop/rock musicians are Encyclopaedia Britannica worthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pop/rock musicians are Encyclopaedia Britannica worthy?

I have an old encyclopaedia Britannica in my house, from the late 80´s, and the only pop/rock musicians in it are "The Beatles", (no rolling stones, no elvis, no ledzep) their inclussion is well deserved imo, they are the most important band.

Which pop/rock musicians will still be known in 200 years the same way Beethoven or Liszt are known nowadays? (I dont mean as admired or respected as Beethoven, just as famous)

And it doesnt even have to be super famous, say, which rock-pop musicians will be prokofiev-famous in 200 years?

Which rock pop musicians deserve at least a little paragraph in the compendium of human knowledge and hsitory?

I imagine in 200 years maybe Britney Spears will be totally forgotten, but someone like Brian Eno would be known, at least among those who study music.
    I need a foot massage

I imagine quite a few will be known by those that study music. As to the masses I would suspect very few artists will survive that length of time with much popularity.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Which pop/rock musicians are Encyclopaedia Britannica worthy?

Originally posted by Barnabas
      I imagine in 200 years maybe Britney Spears will be totally forgotten, but someone like Brian Eno would be known, at least among those who study music.
      Who?
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Re: Re: Which pop/rock musicians are Encyclopaedia Britannica worthy?

Originally posted by Darius871

Who?

He is important for inventing ambient music.

Not that I like it. I much prefer his normal stuff.

I need a foot massage

Comment

I have an old encyclopaedia Britannica in my house, from the late 80´s, and the only pop/rock musicians in it are "The Beatles", (no rolling stones, no elvis, no ledzep) their inclussion is well deserved imo, they are the most important band.

Which pop/rock musicians will still be known in 200 years the same way Beethoven or Liszt are known nowadays? (I dont mean as admired or respected as Beethoven, just as famous)

And it doesnt even have to be super famous, say, which rock-pop musicians will be prokofiev-famous in 200 years?

Which rock pop musicians deserve at least a little paragraph in the compendium of human knowledge and hsitory?
          You've missed something more important: in 200 years we won't be using paper encyclopedias at all. We'll be using some successor to Wikipedia, which will be able to store detailed, full-length articles on anything people write about.

Comment

I think the idea is to consider this a thought experiment and not take into account practicalities such as that

Essentially he asks, who are the musicians of our time that will persist beyond the time where anything from our time is known beyond the grand historical events. Just as nobody here knows anything meaningful about 1800 beyond the very big points, except very specialized historians - and even then most don't know the smaller details - nobody in 2200 will know much about this century except the very high points, and those artists whose art strikes a chord with humanity itself.

So, which artists will strike a chord with humanity itself?
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              I think the idea is to consider this a thought experiment and not take into account practicalities such as that

Essentially he asks, who are the musicians of our time that will persist beyond the time where anything from our time is known beyond the grand historical events. Just as nobody here knows anything meaningful about 1800 beyond the very big points, except very specialized historians - and even then most don't know the smaller details - nobody in 2200 will know much about this century except the very high points, and those artists whose art strikes a chord with humanity itself.

Except things will be fundamentally different, because everyone in 2200 will, barring some cataclysm, have immediate access to a huge database of information dating all the way back to the turn of the millenium. We can't accurately predict how that will change public consciousness.

Comment

Eric Clapton, in many capacities. Robert Johnson. Muddy Waters. B.B. King.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yanni and perhaps Weird Al Yankovic.

Comment

Kuci, there is a limit to what the human mind can keep track of; frankly I doubt they'll know much more than we do about 1800, except that they could. They could, but they won't.

And predicting anything is of course essentially impossible. Predicting the winner of the 2008 presidential elections is pretty difficult ... yet people are constantly trying

Predicting is fun, even if it's effectively meaningless.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

jean michelle jarre, kraftwerk, grandmaster flash.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

DJ Shiva
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Looks like the Encyclopaedia is right on the mark...
                          Last edited by Hueij; March 2, 2008, 19:48.
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

Hmmm, probably The Beatles. That should about do it.

Comment

Working...
                            X