EU slaps Microsoft with Massive $1.35 billion fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU slaps Microsoft with Massive $1.35 billion fine

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

European Union regulators on Wednesday fined Microsoft a record 899 million euros, or $1.35 billion, for failing to comply with sanctions.

The fine specifically addresses sanctions over the pricing structure Microsoft had set for licensing of its interoperability protocols and patents.

The pricing issue is the last of three parts of the Commission's historic March 2004 antitrust order, which called for the software giant to comply to provide complete and accurate interoperability information to rivals so their software could work with the Windows operating system, as well as to license the information "under reasonable and nondiscriminatory" terms.

"We always knew the possibility of a fine (over the licensing fee structure) was always there, but no one knew when it would come, or how big it would be," said a source familiar with Microsoft's thinking. "Now the other boot has dropped."

In July 2006, the Commission fined Microsoft an additional 280.5 million euros, or $418 million, for failing to comply with the other two parts of its sanctions, on providing complete and accurate interoperability protocol information to rivals. That order was upheld by the European Court of First Instance last year.

In addition to the two fines for failure to comply with the March 2004 order, Microsoft was also hit with a $613 million levy by the Commission for having abused its dominant market position at the time of that order.

The fine announced Wednesday is the largest ever imposed by the EU upon a single company. In total, the European regulators have fined Microsoft roughly $2.5 billion in the long-running antitrust dispute.

"Microsoft was the first company in 50 years of EU competition policy that the Commission has had to fine for failure to comply with an antitrust decision. I hope that today's decision closes a dark chapter in Microsoft's record of non-compliance with the Commission's March 2004 decision," EU Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said in a statement.

The ruling comes just one week after Microsoft announced a broad interoperability strategy, which included a pledge to not sue open-source developers.

"As we demonstrated last week with our new interoperability principles and specific actions to increase the openness of our products, we are focusing on steps that will improve things for the future," Microsoft said in a statement.

Although Microsoft's announcement and the Commission's fine come within days of each other, one source said the two were not related. That announcement addressed how the software maker would apply the Court of First Instance's ruling, or principles of law, to the rest of its business, according to the source.

In its order, the Commission specifically said that Microsoft had charged "unreasonable prices for access to interface documentation for work group servers."

According to the EU's ruling, Microsoft initially had demanded a royalty rate of 3.87 percent of a licensee's product revenues for a patent license and a rate of 2.98 percent for a license giving access to the secret interoperability information. In May 2007, following complaints by the Commission, Microsoft reduced its royalty rates to 0.7 percent for a patent license and 0.5 percent for an information license within the EU. Worldwide rates remained unchanged.

On October 22, 2007, Microsoft began providing a license that gives access to the interoperability information for a flat fee of 10,000 euros and an optional worldwide patent license for a reduced royalty of 0.4 percent of licensees' product revenues, the Commission said.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Legal Rulings Sub-Forum
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

So is this a case of happy slapping?
      Blah

Comment

I think the US should freeze all EU assets.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Needless to say, this is not surprising but still remarkably stupid.

Is the EU still short on cash?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Nah, they only do it for you, Asher
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
              QFT. Eurocommunists

They don't have a Microsoft Kolhoz of their own, so they take it out on the US company.

We should all ask ourselves, is this what we are paying them for?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                Needless to say, this is not surprising but still remarkably stupid.

Is the EU still short on cash?
                Lame

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  It would cause way too much backlash to be worth it.

I have no problem with a corporate giant getting hurt.

I have no problem with taking Microsoft’s money.

They broke the law, they should pay the fine, if the fine is too big for them to make a profit they shouldn't do business in Europe.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

QFT. Eurocommunists

They don't have a Microsoft Kolhoz of their own, so they take it out on the US company.

We should all ask ourselves, is this what we are paying them for?

Deifying the will of the Empire. You should be familiar with that kind of thinking.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

They broke the law, they should pay the fine
                      Last I checked it's not illegal to charge 4% patent royalties.

I think the issue is a lot more complicated than you understand.

And, to be honest, I wish MS would stop all of their products from use in Europe. Realistically this would be stupid, but the come-uppance would be tremendous.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Last I checked it's not illegal to charge 4% patent royalties.
                        Why does that make any differnece? Laws are what goverments and oragnisations can get away with. Even if there is no law on the matter I'm sure they could come up with it.

Comment

Why does that make any differnece? Laws are what goverments and oragnisations can get away with. Even if there is no law on the matter I'm sure they could come up with it.
                          Your attitude is precisely why the EU is such a joke.

The difference is you said they broke the law and must pay the fine. The problem is they broke no such law, there is no law about this at all. This is a large difference.

Comment

And, to be honest, I wish MS would stop all of their products from use in Europe.

How could they do that?

Comment

How could they do that?
                              They could cut off all online services (Windows Live Messenger, live.com, Xbox Live, etc). Prevent all further activations and installations of Windows, Office, etc.

They can't do anything with the stuff already out there but if they stopped selling the products and halted all services, Europe would feel the sting.

Not to mention lack of further support in terms of patches for security vulnerabilities. That would be interesting also.

Comment

Working...
                              X