Financial instrument/fund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial instrument/fund?

I am trying to recall how this particular financial instrument or a type of fund was called.

This type of financial instrument has a fixed income portion that guaranties profit and the remainder (relatively small percentage) is invested in stocks and other high risk assets.
    Quendelie axan!

Obligatory pension funds here operate by having 80% or so of their investments in government bonds and the rest is in stocks and derivatives.

I don't know if such conservative investing policy has a name.

Comment

(Fixed) income and growth fund?

There are so many fund types out there that there is no set names afaik.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It could be a cautious managed fund, that would have roughly that kind of balance between assets, but it wouldn't usually guarantee any profit (if you actually mean guarantee, rather than it just having ~80% in safe assets?).

It could be an absolute return fund, of the old style, ie. not a hedge fund or a hedge fund-lite (like a 130:30 fund) but one that guarantees a certain return and then gambles with the rest. For example, if you can get a 5% yield in bonds, it guarantees a 4% yield, invests 80% in the bond market to make sure it meets it, and then invests the other 20% in risky assets that mean it could give a higher than 5% yield.

There's no set name for that, there are many types of fund that would provide that type of exposure.
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
          For example, if you can get a 5% yield in bonds, it guarantees a 4% yield, invests 80% in the bond market to make sure it meets it, and then invests the other 20% in risky assets that mean it could give a higher than 5% yield.
          . I assume you are talking long term investment, as it only tends to 4% after a significant investment period.

I've seen capital guaranteed systems for shorter term investments. After 5 years the bonds would cover the original capital that may be lost in risky investments.

Comment

But I add, the only time I tend to look at these things is when they are fraudulent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              . I assume you are talking long term investment, as it only tends to 4% after a significant investment period.

I've seen capital guaranteed systems for shorter term investments. After 5 years the bonds would cover the original capital that may be lost in risky investments.
              If in the short term it ends up less, the bank makes up the loses and loses money (or has a clause that the guarantee doesn't hold if certain events happen). There's risk involved on the banks part, but it's usually a pretty safe bet.
              Smile

Comment

They have minimum investment periods though? Usually at least five years?

Comment

Not that I've seen, though some may have. I'm sure some don't though.
                  Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    (Fixed) income and growth fund?

There are so many fund types out there that there is no set names afaik.
                    I'd guess this is correct. AFAIK a fixed income and growth fund doesn't assure any investment but the managers use very cautious principles investing in stocks with high dividends in order to give elderly people monthly (or quarterly) income along with a small amount of growth in principle. These are considered low risk but low yield investments.

Mostly retired people invest in these sort of funds since they no longer have earnings ability to make up loses and need the income since they are no longer working. Ideally, people invest in high risk but high return investments while young and slowly move over to low risk low return investments by the time they retire.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                      ... one that guarantees a certain return and then gambles with the rest. For example, if you can get a 5% yield in bonds, it guarantees a 4% yield, invests 80% in the bond market to make sure it meets it, and then invests the other 20% in risky assets that mean it could give a higher than 5% yield.

There's no set name for that, there are many types of fund that would provide that type of exposure.
                      This is what I had in mind and I think I have stumbled upon a speciffic name.
                      I even think I have seen Saras use that name here to refer to this type of funds.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Don't remember what was it exactly that I said, but this could be either a mixed equity/fixed income fund, or alternatively, a capital-protected index linked note. It's basically when you lend the bank money at zero interest, they take the interest that they would otherwise owe you and buy some options on the reference asset.

They rip your eyes out with these babies
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                        X