No announcement yet.

Let's List the Most Misused Words in the English Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stationary" and "stationery". We have a cupboard at work that is labelled "Stationary". Well I wasn't going to attempt to move it
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The affect/effect thing annoyed my geography teacher so much in the early years of secondary school that he devoted an entire lesson to getting us all to understand which was appropriate when. Although it could have been to do with the fact that he hated the english teacher and just wanted to undermine her.
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I bet that's it. The hag wouldn't put out for him.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          "Stationary" and "stationery". We have a cupboard at work that is labelled "Stationary". Well I wasn't going to attempt to move it
          e for envelope.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

48 inches.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I
              I really hate when apathetic people say "I could care less," when what they really mean is "I couldn't care less."
              Oh god dude. ****ing RIGHT ON!

I also hate how common "proactive" has become.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                AFAIK, the second sense is still disputed, even though it makes more sense. In French, we say pétition de principe, which comes directly from the Latin petitio principii, which is a lot clearer than "begging the question"
                It doesn't matter if it's disputed by wankers, it's been used for decades in the second sense. Both are valid in casual speech.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

For my students:
                  Everday vs. Every day
                  Seems to come up a lot.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Have you taught them how to swear properly yet? It always annoyed me how bad my students were at swearing in English.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Oh, and why the hell does "already" somehow spill over into making "all right" "alright?"
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

through

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"Alright" has been in use since the late 19th century;

Alright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            "Alright" has been in use since the late 19th century;

Alright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                            Nice creative quoting; try "Alright has been in use since the late 19th century; while some authorities still consider it wrong or nonstandard" I don't care if people started going astray a decade ago or century ago.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Just a fad? It will pass?

Comment

Hopefully
                                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                                X