• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi national coach fired - refused to enter Iraq

A Norwegian, of course.

From www.jp.dk,

Norwegian coach in Iraq fired

Norwegian former national coach Egil 'Drillo' Olsen has been laid off from his position as Iraq's national (soccer) coach.

'Drillo' only managed to hold on to the job for five months and was allegedly fired on grounds that he refused to go to Iraq, or accompany the national team to Kurdistan for a training camp, citing security concerns.

The Iraqis were also disappointed by the fact that the hiring of the Norwegian had failed to attract Norwegian sponsors to the team as expected.

What did he expect going into this, that the players would come to train a little in his back yard every now and then?

Maybe he thought they would set up a webcam on the traning grounds and he could watch them from home and give his orders to his iraqui assistant trainers via chat
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I suspect he would have gone to Iraq and that this has everything to do with public outrage at hiring a foreigner along with lack of foreign sponsors.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

the problem the iraqi team has is that every time they go abroad, half the players do a runner and claim asylum in the country they're playing against.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
        X