Statistical Test Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistical Test Question

I am looking for the correct statistical test and didn't find it yet.

My data consist of two groups of people for which I have yes/no answers. My question is whether they differ significantly.

As a more real-world example, imagine two football clubs. Of each member, you know whether he smokes or not. The question would be if one of the clubs attracts significantly more smokers than the other.

Good ideas are welcome.
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Maybe a t-test?
    But no, wait this would require a normal distribution
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Re: Statistical Test Question

Originally posted by Adalbertus
      As a more real-world example, imagine two football clubs. Of each member, you know whether he smokes or not. The question would be if one of the clubs attracts significantly more smokers than the other.

Good ideas are welcome.
      Umm... You look what percentage of people from each group answered yes?
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

@Eli, That's what I know. What I want to know is if this has a statistical significance.
        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Depends on the sample size and the difference in response rate...

Comment

I don't know, is a test of significance needed in this case? Maybe you could just say something like "members of club B are 15% more likely to be smokers so there are strong grounds for the assumption that..." IIUC, when testing statistical significance you still always have to arbitrarily choose a level of significance (5%, 1%...)

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on Statistics

Comment

Simple Binominal test with true propablility of 29% for smoking.
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

This should give you an idea to start :

It mostly depends on sample size and what other assumptions you can make.

Comment

I think Adalbertus has a scenario where the whole population has been examined...

Of each member, you know whether he smokes or not. The question would be if one of the clubs attracts significantly more smokers than the other.

Comment

Which software do you use?
                    bleh

Comment

Wait; I'll open my stat book and I'll come back
                      bleh

Comment

The best test that you can do is: Chi-square test

A t test is inappropriate for this one.

bleh

Comment

Thinking about it in terms of tests is not really the most helpful. As has been given earlier, the distributions in question are binomial, which is the key.

Once you have constructed the two binomial distributions, using the sample probabilities of 'success' (here smoking) there are several sensible approaches to testing whether those probabilities differ. A simple chi-square test like that linked may be best if you have little data - other tests may have more power if you have more.

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Chi square test is definitely my suggestion as well given the available data.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X