Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes

Just wondering, but what is it like living with diabetes? How hard is it to manage for the tests sometime in the next week, and I'm kind of scared that I might have it, though I hope that the fear is mainly unfounded and that I can still have te occasional drink...
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Krill:

I've been officially diagnosed with Type II diabetes since, oh, November 2002.

For me to control it, all I've had to do (so far) is get exercise just about every day and eat a healthier diet. It's kept my long-term blood sugar levels below 7.0 Hb1ac, which is where most doctors like to see it. (I think Europe uses a different measuring system, but the goal is the same.)

There are a variety of drugs available to help control diabetes, ranging from numerous pills to insulin injections/inhalation devices. If you are diagnosed, you and your doctor will work out the appropriate control regime.

Also, researchers are working on various methods to measure blood sugars without having to poke yourself in the finger(s) or elsewhere on your body; I usually test twice daily on my fingers, and it doesn't hurt at all. The lancets are extremely thin and very little blood is required to perform the test. Still, it's only a matter of time before some sort of laser is developed that can read your levels without a poke.

Living with diabetes has essentially forced me to live the way I should have been all along: Eating healthier food and getting exercise. Those two things, combined with weight loss, have done wonders so far for me. And, fear not, I do believe that occasional alcoholic drinks are safe for diabetics.

There are a ton of online resources as well. Check out WebMD, for starters. That way, when you visit your doctor (who should remain your No. 1 source, IMO), you will do so as an informed patient. Most docs like that; just don't get overbearing about it, though, since your doctor really is the best source for medical informtion.

Hope this helps, Krill.

Gatekeeper

P.S. And, really, there's no food that's "off limits" to diabetics. What it's all about is how much you eat, when you eat and so on. Establishing a routine eating schedule is definitely one thing you'll want to do, along with regular sleep schedule. Those, too, can help the body regulate its blood-sugar levels. Heh. It's mostly about being predictable with certain things.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Thanks GK
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Krill, my wife was diganosed with it. And as said above, she treated it with exercise and better eating. It has gotten to the point where she technically doesn't have it but she still does all the monitoring and tests to make sure she's doing everything right.

It's more interesting now. She test her blood and downloads the result to our PC and she can print out many different charts and such, or track it over a long period. Kinda cool as long as you have to stick yourself a couple of times a day.
        AND yes, she still has a drink every now and then. You must have to be a bit more moderate about it.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll increase my drinking, just to balance things out.

Comment

i've had type one diabetes since i was about 10. it's the type you're most likely to have, being a young guy. what do you want to know?
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

What is injecting insulin like? I have a needle phobia, so injecting is something that I really don't want to have to do...but if I have to, then it's not like I have much of a choice. I understand that their are other forms of insulin available, but I don't know anything at all about them.

To be honest, I was hoping Dr. Strangelove was here tonight...

Comment

If you're type 1 you may not be able to get around it, but if you're type 2 you probably won't need insulin - most type 2 can be managed without insulin.

Based on your age I'd be surprised if you were either though... type 1 is usually noticed earlier, and type 2 usually comes on later, unless you're very overweight.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

With my history of unhealthyness, Snoop, and the fact I'm student chemist, I could get frankly anything at any point. Except possibly breast cancer.

Comment

it's ok, the needles are tiny these days, about 6mm. i wouldn't worry too much about your needle phobia, i was scared of heights before i got a job as a window cleaner... you'll get used to injecting quite soon, it becomes part of your routine.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

How old are you, Krill? I'm in my 30s ... diabetes runs in the maternal side of my family (Type II), which, combined with my old lifestyle, probably explains why I got it. Fortunately, it was caught real early, before it could do much damage.

If you have diabetes, you definitely want to control it. Left unchecked, it can (and likely will) damage your organs as the years pass by. Untreated diabetes can cause hell with your kidneys, circulatory system and damage your vision. And, as was said above, most Type II diabetics don't need insulin. Exercise, healthy eating habits and pills usually do the trick.

My diagnosis Hb1ac was 7.2. I've since kept it below the 6.0 mark, which is close to the normal range for folks.

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Cue the "You want to become a heroin addict?" joke...

Comment

I'm 19. 20 in a few months

Comment

I already have something like -4 vision anyway, so that is another fear; losing my eyesight is maybe my largest fear.

Comment

my daughter has it, diagnosed last summer, and she has just turned 8 now...

if you get type2, you can get away with it by only changing your lifestyle... however if you have type1, no way yet to get away with it, but a change of lifestyle, getting a routine, it becomes more or less like brushing teeth... something you do every day, but which is not a major hindrance to anything (apart from eating excess sweets regularly)...
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X