The Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Machines 'to match man by 2029

Humans and machines would eventually merge, by means of devices embedded in people's bodies to keep them healthy and improve their intelligence, predicted Mr Kurzweil.

"We'll have intelligent nanobots go into our brains through the capillaries and interact directly with our biological neurons," he told BBC News.

The nanobots, he said, would "make us smarter, remember things better and automatically go into full emergent virtual reality environments through the nervous system".

if they make it by 2029... perhaps even some of us on this board would qualify for such enhancements... I'd probably would not be able to resist any health/life prolonging solutions , this type of machine/human hybrid sounds bit scary however... but if we will be able to make it, it will surely be the way forward, if not in 2029... than surely over next few hundred years when such developments become viable...

isn't this type of development inevitable, perhaps eventually leading to immortality... eg. machines being good enough to repair all the damage of our regular biological life cycle
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Resistance is futile!
    Blah

Comment

I'm sure this technology will only be used for medical purposes. People don't want to be machines.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

People are machines. Its only the difference between being a carbon machine or a metal one.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Machines are people too!
          Blah

Comment

I love it how they illustrate the nanobots with an alien-looking thing grabbing a red blood cell. That's totally how it will be!

Comment

PLEASE DELETE THIS
              Last edited by Diplo France; February 17, 2008, 13:35.
              'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

Anon is starting to be a bit of a pain...
                'Impossible' n'est pas français.

Comment

IMHO, the opening article is a little overly enthusiastic.

I can see us having built-in communications (hooked up to the Internet) and having features like iNotebooks, where we can mnetally jot down addresses, phone numbers, maps, etc.

But I can't see us permitting nanobots to go running free through our brains.

Comment

Who says it isn't already happening?
                    Blah

Comment

I'm up for that. being able to play CIV in my head in lectures.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        I can see us having built-in communications (hooked up to the Internet) and having features like iNotebooks, where we can mnetally jot down addresses, phone numbers, maps, etc.
                        Dude, the government is going to hack into our brains if we are hooked into the internet like that.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

This is why I'm investing in the Tyrell Corporation.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Skynet is coming! Skynet is coming!
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

symbiotes though, so they need us to survive
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X