8 dead at Washington street race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 dead at Washington street race

As far as I have heard, Washington has a pretty hard-core street racing scene. Of course, nothing of this magnitude has happened. Indeed, I've never heard of a street race accident killing this many.

Question to those who may know: Isn't it typical to have at least one lookout, especially on a race of this magnitude?

Warning: The description in the WaPo of what happened and the aftermath is pretty grisly.

Eight people were killed and six others were injured early yesterday morning in southern Prince George's County when a motorist unwittingly drove into a smoke-shrouded crowd of people gathered on a dark rural road to watch as two drivers roared off in an illegal street race, police said.

By Steve Vogel and Katherine Shaver
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Saturday, February 16, 2008; 6:12 PM

Eight people are dead and at least five injured after police said a car struck a group of people who were watching an illegal race early today in southern Prince George's County, marking one of the deadliest street racing incidents in the Washington area.

The Ford Crown Victoria that struck the spectators about 3 a.m. had not taken part in the race. The driver told police that he was blinded by a cloud of white smoke and debris kicked up by the spinning wheels of two vehicles that had just taken off to race along Indian Head Highway (Route 210) near Pine Drive in Accokeek. Although police initially said the accident took place at the end of the race, authorities and witnesses now say the crash occurred at the start of the contest.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Re: 8 dead at Washington street race

Originally posted by DanS
    Warning: The description in the WaPo of what happened and the aftermath is pretty grisly.
    Come on Dan, don't be shy:

Spoiler:
    Witnesses and police described a grisly scene. People flew 15 feet in the air as they slammed off the car's hood and roof, which became covered in blood. Shoes and pieces of clothing were scattered along the grassy median for 200 yards. Investigators marked the pavement with spray paint. Below one circle, they sprayed "hat." Next to another, "2 shoes." A third fluorescent mark said "body."

Steve Swann, 36, of Fort Washington witnessed the crash. "It sounded like a bunch of booms -- boom, boom, boom, boom," he said. "Then, everything came to a stop."
    A tractor-trailer driver, whose name was not released, struck one of the bodies after coming upon the scene, police said.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Nothing much that can be said or done about it...
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Normally, yes. There's a person to start, and flag the winner (particularly dangerous), as well as spotters watching for traffic, to include cops.
        That's in the day. I don't know how stupid kids have gotten.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yet another victims of teh racism in USA
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Sucks to die doing something stupid. Go to a legal drag strip, dudes.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                Sucks to die doing something stupid. Go to a legal drag strip, dudes.
                What, "safe" legal events like these?

Unbelievable!

Comment

This wasn't Washington; it was P.G. County, D.C.'s midden. The only place in the District as bad as P.G. is Anacostia and the surrounding area.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

So people that think watching street racing is cool got killed. Where's the problem?
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                      Sucks to die doing something stupid.
                      Think of it as evolution in action.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                      X