Just got out of the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got out of the hospital

Three days ago I started feeling a little funny. Weakness, then that first evening I couldn't keep anything down, and my legs and particularly my knees started hurting like hell in the bones. So we went into the community hospital and got a room. They gave me an IV to replace fluids, and through the IV they gave antacids, and some other stuff, don't recall, Oh yeah, anti puking stuff. Then pain meds in pill form that lasted 5 hours and I could take another every 6 hours.

Never figured out what wierd illness it was but it's over, thank God.

Everything is back to what passes for normal.

Funny thing about the hospital. An aircon private room costs $16/day. At the Garden Cafe they have aircon rooms $20/day and no pretty nurses check on you.

On the flip side they don't stick needles in you at the GC.

They have excellent medical staff, even aware of what Addisons is. Many doctors in the US could not claim the same. They are poor there, the nurses are only paid 2 weeks out of the month and the rest is voluntary if they want to help out. I had one friendly fellow stop by to chat just to practice his english, his test is coming up. He's planning on working in the US and they are very strict. Overall a very pleasant experience except for not feeling well. Only set me back $60.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Glad you're feeling better.

Funny thing about the hospital. An aircon private room costs $16/day. At the Garden Cafe they have aircon rooms $20/day and no pretty nurses check on you.
    Ah... now I know what the "illness" was... think I may be catching a bit of that myself... *cough*

Comment

Glad to have you back Lancer, wondered what happened to you!
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I think my room is still available and from what I gathered so is the very best looking nurse.

Another funny thing. Just as we're finished settleing our accounts and I'm just so ready to leave my room, IV unplugged all packed, Dolores runs in breathless and all excited Cesar Montano is coming!!! Well at first I figured somebody got lucky with the pretty nurse but quickly remembered that this is the Philippines it couldn't be. So I asked, who's that? "He a big TV star, and we love him because he's from Bohol!" Then she grabs her cell phone/camera and runs out the door leaving me holding the bag and knowing I'm doomed to stay a while longer. So I lay down and waited. Before long I hear in the hallway the kind of ruckus the Beatles might be expected to cause, girls going nuts. So curious, I checked it out. Well along comes this fella mobbed by girls shaking hands and saying hi to the sick, pretty cool, this guy gives a crap. So he walked up and I gave him my best Theben "Howya dooin" and we chatted for a minute, asked me how I was doing in a fashion more civilized by far, and was generally very friendly and concerned. I gotta watch Philippine TV now and see him there. Dolores has a pic with him and she took one of us chatting.

Eventually he left, and at long last so did we, one heart throb later.
        Last edited by Lancer; February 20, 2008, 09:00.

Comment

AAHZ, wasn't gone long...oh I know, you just like looking at my sig.

Comment

Re: Just got out of the hospital

Originally posted by Lancer
            You can't have everything for 20 bucks per day
            Blah

Comment

A night on the town could cost that, easily.
              You spent your time at the Hospital-a-Go-Go.

Glad you're ok.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bebro, for $20 you can get enough though.

"Hospital-a-Go-Go." I wish! Though that might have sapped my remaining strength and killed me.

My Philippine family half carried me out of my house, I'm pretty sure I didn't have the strength to spare for "Go-Go". Nice way to go tho...

Comment

I just saw this, glad you're feeling better.

Any idea yet what happened?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Re: Just got out of the hospital

Originally posted by Lancer
                    They have excellent medical staff, even aware of what Addisons is. Many doctors in the US could not claim the same. They are poor there, the nurses are only paid 2 weeks out of the month and the rest is voluntary if they want to help out. I had one friendly fellow stop by to chat just to practice his english, his test is coming up. He's planning on working in the US and they are very strict. Overall a very pleasant experience except for not feeling well. Only set me back $60.
                    Glad to hear that you're OK. Is this a private hospital? Run by a religious organization? State organization?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Must've drank the water.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Lancer --
                        I like your sigs. They're oxymoronic.
                        BTW: Did it ever occur to you that all those women were just pretending to be interested in Caesar Montana, just so they could get close to you?
                        Last edited by Zkribbler; February 19, 2008, 20:41.

Comment

Thanks all for the kind wishes...

MM, still no idea but I'm feeling better. The IV and whatever antacids etc they gave me did the trick.

DanS, it is a state run hospital. Believe it or not the Phils has national health care, or something like it. Thing is the meds must be bought from the pharmacy and the conditions aren't great. I had a private room with an aircon and my family behind me to run errands. They brought a 5 gal water dispenser and different food than the hospital fare. People who want something different can buy from the venders that go door to door selling different foods they cook in their homes. A cup of hot water for coffee can be bought for 2P or 5 cents.

Theben, might have been food to, don't know.

Zkrib I gotta admit that never occured to me.

Cesar isn't a teen heartthrob as much as an action hero. He's made films in the US Dolores tells me but I had never heard of him.

Here's the pic Dolores took on her cell.

Good thing I got that hair cut.

Last edited by Lancer; February 20, 2008, 08:52.

Comment

Maybe it was just a brief flu or something that passes for such in a tropical climate...

Cool story about meeting Montano! Something to hang on your wall in your office in Manila, no doubt!
                            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I've never heard of him and at the time just found him to be a nice guy concerned for the sick and bringing joy into their lives by meeting a star.

No office in Manila or anywhere close to it I'm happy to say. Dolores put the pics on 'friendster', some sort of pic sharing deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X