Teach Bosh how to be a capitalist pig dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach Bosh how to be a capitalist pig dog

I have been struck with a desire the exploit the proletariat and I have significant (for me) cash reserves with which to do it.

I'm thinking of getting some kind of American stock index fund since right now the won is really strong against the dollar so I can currently speculate that the dollar will get a bit stronger eventually

Any obviously better idea out there? What would be a way to do this via a Korean bank account with the minimum possible fees? What sort of tax **** would I have to keep track of if there was done in my (Korean) wife's name?
    Stop Quoting Ben

That kind of knowledge isn't free. You have to pay the cost to be the boss.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        http://www.pigdog.org/
        Bush Announces Economic Stimulus Plan, Stock Markets Plunge
        2008-01-21 21:55:26

By Baron Earl

Mocking Parade

It is to sigh.
        -- P a u l

On Friday President Bush announced an economic stimulus plan. The plan was short on details, vague on implementation, fuzzy about who would be helped, but sharply targeted when it came to how many taxpayer dollars should be spent -- about one percent of the nation's GDP -- somewhere between $140 and $150 billion dollars.

The world's stock markets reacted on Monday by plunging in the largest single-day drop since 9/11. The New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ did not plunge because they were closed for Martin Luther King's birthday, but currently the Dow Jones (DJIA) futures market shows an expected 546 point drop by the time trading ends on Tuesday. It's going to be a volatile week on Wall Street this week and a rough ride for the world economy.

This leads me to wonder... since the stock markets dive when Bush announces a plan to help the economy, and the world now expects anything our President plans or does to turn into a gigantic cluster****, is there any way that he could use the perception of his own ineptitude to his (and the world's) advantage? What else could happen during the last year of the Bizarro Bush presidency, where whatever the president says causes the opposite to happen?

Bush announces that a settlement between the Israelis and the Palestineans is impossible, and lists the reasons why the fighting in the middle east must continue. Once all sides hear Bush state that he thinks that their war will be on-going and endless, they'll start trying to figure out where his logic is flawed, then they'll find a path to a peaceful settlement and all fighting will end in mere weeks.

Bush praises totalitarian regimes, calls Fidel Castro "one cool cat". Bush stops the double-talk about how America supports democracy, and lets it be known that we only support democracy in strategically insignificant countries. Once the dictators of the world hear that Bush is on their side, they'll panic, knowing that they're doomed, step aside, and free and fair elections can begin.

Bush declares that climate change is a fraud and CO2 emissions are good for the oil industry. That should convince any skeptics that still think that there's no such thing as climate change to change their minds. With the last of the doubters convinced that climate change is real, we can start making progress and fixing the problems that cause climate change.

Bush holds a press conference to tell everyone that General Motors is an excellent company in great financial shape. This won't actually help the world, but I hope to make a small fortune by shorting the stock.

Unfortunately, rather than do any of these things, I suspect that in the coming year Bush will announce additional plans to fix the economy, declare that he supports the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, that he wants to find peaceful solutions to the world's problems, and that he will work to support human rights and free and fair elections throughout the world.

We are so ****ed.

Interesting ideas.
        Last edited by Kidlicious; February 15, 2008, 15:46.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Your idea about exploiting the rising dollar seems solid to me. However, if you are investing in a US stock index, most of the constituent companies have considerable operations overseas, thus blunting somewhat any potential gains.

Because of this, I have invested in China through an exchange-traded fund whose constituent companies operate mostly domestically in China. Not only will the dollar gain against other currencies, but also the yuan will gain against the dollar. That said, it might be a little expensive to get into this exchange-traded fund right now. I am not adding to my holdings.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes, I think the ship has already sailed on getting any kind of good deals in Chinese companies. But the dollar has GOT to rise against the won at least a bit in the next year or two so that seems like a relatively safe bet.

I'm going to stay away from anything Korean since the housing bubble hasn't popped here yet...

It feels really wierd actually having money
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
            X